26 - Fear

It was impossible to tell who took the first leap. The Wylfrost and Twilytra moved as one, pouncing together, desperate to fight away the darkness that imprisoned them there.

Angel soared across the room, her newly-healed wings aiding her attack. Her claws were set on Jaser. Yet just before her claws could scrape the surface of his arrogant snout, his red eyes locked onto her, and he was diving away.

Without her wings, she would have crashed into the wall behind him with painful force. Thanks to Thea, she could avoid that fate. Her wings tipped forwards, beating hard and using the wind to direct her course downwards. She landed with a stumble, but on her paws, turning just in time to see Jaser's dodge carry him straight into Fiammetta's flaming claws.

A small smile tugged at Angel's snout. It was always a joy to watch her friends fight.

Her wings remained flared, but she didn't move - there was no need. While Fiammetta, with Thea and Katana's input, tackled Jaser, the Icewylves were already forcing Harisah to the ground. Even her surprising strength couldn't conquer the collective might of the Wylfrost.

But the third Shadewylf was nowhere to be seen. Keeping her stance sturdy, Angel scanned the room, searching for Montasir. A flash of black caught her eye, there for only a moment before he vanished beyond the wall.

So the Glitterwylf hadn't trapped them in, not entirely. There was a small gap left open, wide enough for Montasir to slip through - and perhaps even Konrad, at a squeeze.

Angel's smile widened. Maybe they weren't going to die.

She caught Fiammetta's eye. The Flamewylf was now atop a struggling Jaser, her claws digging in to the side of his head as she fought to keep him pinned down. The whole room flickered along with her fire at her effort.

They shared that glimmer of excitement. Neither of them understood why Montasir had left, or why they'd been allowed to attack so easily. All they knew was that their execution may have just turned into an escape.

Dashing over, Angel slipped her paw through Fiammetta's grip, helping to twist Jaser towards her. With the slap of a bronze paw, the glow in his red eyes faded along with his squirms.

Looking up, Angel saw that Harisah was suffering a similar fate. Both their attackers were decidedly unconcious. But Konrad didn't wear a smile at the victory. His eyes were hard and doubtful, disbelieving of their luck, and after only a moment of meeting his gaze Angel realised how realistic that was.

She turned to Fiammetta. "We need to get out of here, now."

They were too late regardless.

As Angel made to run for the opening, black shapes leaked from the shadows within, the light illuminating sharpened claws and glowing eyes. There were several of them, not enough to outnumber but enough to snatch easy victory in an instant.

Only when the final wolf had entered, his yellow eyes dark and malicious, did fighting begin once more.

Angel couldn't stand aside this time. Her leap carried her straight into the throng, claws latching into black fur and pulling the wolf down with her. A paw swung at her snout, but she swerved out of the way, feeling the tug threatening to topple her but able to beat her wings against it.

It reminded her how much she'd missed her wings these last few days. They were a key part of her, necessary for every movement. They gave her balance and speed.

She didn't particularly care for her wind powers. Flight was the power she treasured most.

Hooking her paws around the wolf's chest, she lifted into the air, her wings beating hard against the weight. She got about halfway to the room's stone ceiling before claws flew towards her snout. The twist to avoid them slicing into her made the wolf slip from her grasp, and she watched with a slight grin as he gasped at the impact with the rock below.