52 - Wife

Author's;
You were on your way home after a tiresome three hour lecture at uni, yawning what seemed like every two minutes. Your arms reached for the sky on top of your head to stretch your body. Who knew sitting could've been so tiring?

"Areum?" The familiar voice coming from somewhere behind you nearly stopped your heart as you quickly turned to face the owner.

"Jungkook.." You breathed, looking at him with big eyes.

"Hey," He greeted, stepping closer.
"I was about to go visit you," He chuckled, awkwardly.

You were?

"Ah, really?"

"Yeah. To say bye," he forced a corner of his mouth to curl up.

You furrowed your eyebrows and stepped closer to him. "Bye?" You questioned.

He nodded. "I got a.. job. Training starts later today so I'll be really busy and I really wanted to speak to you before leaving,"

"It's just a job. How long could it take to train?" You asked, uneasy.

"It'll take a while, actually," Jungkook chuckled, scratching his nape.

"Why are you talking like you're leaving the country... What's the job?"

"You'll see," He grinned.

You missed that childlike grin of his. It felt strange to talk to Jungkook who was your best friend since middle school. He felt like a familiar stranger. Why?

"Anyway, I just really wanted to—" Jungkook was interrupted mid-sentence by the ringing of his phone. He pursed his lips and answered his phone, clearly not wanting to.

"Yes, hello?" He answered.

You watched curiously. It was confusing to you. A goodbye because he's training for a job? Why wouldn't he just tell you what job? Was everything okay with him? It worried you a little bit.

He nodded as he hummed at his phone. "Okay, thank you. I will see you soon," He said as he hung up.

"What was that?" You asked.

"My new boss said to come by in an hour to set things up and stuff," He said, his voice almost had a subtle apologetic tone but maybe it was your imagination.

"Jungkook, is everything okay?" You asked, searching in his innocent eyes for an answer.

"I have to leave now, i'm sorry Areumie."

"C-can you call me Kook like you used to? Before I leave." He suddenly requested with slightly pink cheeks.

Your heart felt like a wet towel being squeezed and twisted for the water to come out.

"O-okay, Kook. Are you okay?" you noticed him smile when you said "Kook".

"I'm really good actually. I'll see you around maybe," He smiled cutely, not breaking the eye contact.

Annoyingly, with so much to say, your mouth wouldn't open. You just stood there, lost and confused. Jungkook opened his arms wide and embraced you. He held you tightly, his face in the crook of your neck. It was quick though, as if he was trying to be polite. He pulled away and let out a breath.

"Bye, Areumie,"

"B-bye, Kook." you timidly waved your hand in the air as his back disappeared into the distance.

What the heck just happened? Why am I letting him walk away?

»»————- ♡ ————-««