Missionaries - Path Of Thorns (2)

I manage to deflect some daggers that were thrown at me by the ninjas in the room. I tried not to flinch when the daggers I didn't dodge left cut marks on my face and my hands. Well, I was being distracted by dodging the weapons being thrown at me. I couldn't have my full attention to Maria.

Weapons materialize like magic from the sleeves of the ninjas that infiltrated the hospital room. Numerous flashes of light appear in the air as they aim Maria. I wanted to rush over to her but I was too busy dodging attacks on the other ninjas in the room who wouldn't let up from attacking me from a distance.

"Your efforts are futile." Maria's vines extend, blocking the throwing daggers and ninja stars flying toward her. I was so impressed with how she was able to handle herself in battle.

"You're wide open!" Another ninja who was previously knocked away draws the sword on his back and attacks Maria from behind. I reacted quickly once I saw this happen.

"Not so fast! Attacking from behind is a dick move!" I quickly blocked his sword with mine. I push him back with my sword and covered Maria back so no one could get close to her again.

"Masato!" Maria looked at me from over her shoulder with surprised eyes. I smiled at her as I got into a defensive position behind her. "I've got your back!"

"Thank you... Now let us end this. Thorns of Golgotha!" The vines thicken in response to Maria's call, covering the entirety of the hospital room. I was safe from getting in the line of attack from the vines as they closed in on the ninjas in the room.

"It seems it is time to withdraw... " Suddenly, the rest of the ninjas retreat, leaving only one left in the room.

"How did I miss their exit? They're so flashy!" I couldn't understand how people who were showing that much skin could exit the room without me even knowing. It seems like something anyone would notice!

"We shroud ourselves in technique, not in the color of our clothing. Farewell!" The last ninja flips around and attempts to flee. However... The mass of vines that fill the room wrap around him in an instant, binding him in place. The vines constrict around his limbs and pull him back inside.

"You shall not escape. Nor will I allow you to end your own life. Know that resistance is meaningless. You will tell me what your plans are." Maria was looking at the ninja who was held in place by her vines. I couldn't help but think she looked so amazing with that firm stare on her face. Totally my type at the moment.

"Hahaha... Aaahahaha! What do you take me for, girl? Do you think I fear death?!" The ninja just started to laugh in Maria vines and Maria just frowned at how he was acting at the moment.

"You're really not afraid to die?" I was confused by that and Maria just gives me a sorrowful look and begins to speak.

"Masato... The Transients you've seen until now are merely one side of the coin. Transients are given a certain standing here in Tokyo, with the understanding that they are to use their knowledge and power to aid their Summoner. That is the side of Tokyo that is bathed in light. Yet where there is light, there will always be a shadow. If these Transients who lead happy lives despite their difficulties are beings of light... Then the Stray Transients whose lives are traded for coin and treated like dirt are being of shadow. That is the reality for many who live in Tokyo, this city who crossed with other worlds." I couldn't really understand what Maria was telling me and I really didn't want to think about it. But it seems like that some Transients aren't as lucky as others... I wonder if this could have been me?

"You dare look down on us from your high horse with pity? Don't patronize me!" Even though I couldn't see the ninja face fully I could see that he was glaring hard at Maria as he pulled at the vines holding him in anger.