Chapter One: The Mysterious Transient Student -Summoner's Guide

"We'll be out of the park if we walk about ten more minutes. I hope we don't run into something like that again!" Ryota said after a while of walking through the dark forest. I was rather tired and covered in dirt and Ryota looked the same as me. I really want to hold his hand but without it seeing weird. . . .

"I-It was super scary! Can I hold your hand? I'm still pretty scared." I hold my hand out to Ryota hoping my face wasn't turning weird. I mean this is pretty normal to ask if you were chased and almost killed by a monster.

"Whaaa?! Y-Y-You can't just ask someone that!" Ryota told me his face turning red and I slowly lower my hand with a small frown on my face. "I,uh. . . Er. . . S-Sure, I don't mind. . ." Ryota said while grabbing my hand causing me to smile and get closer to him. "Well, I guess no one will see us here. . . B-But you don't have to get so close." Ryota told me with a red face and I gave him some space by moving a little bit away but still close to him.

"W-We'll be okay. . . I think! I mean sure, there is a giant Gate here in Shinjuku Central Park, but. . . It's still pretty rare to just randomly run into a Stray Transient!" Ryota told me with a smile squeezing my hand but it slowly turned into a frown. ". . . At least that's what I thought, but that's exactly what happened earlier. . . Uuugh. Let's hurry before we run into another one!" Ryota start pulling at my hand as he starts to move quicker through the forest but I was looking at him with a blank look on my face about what he said earlier.

"Uh, what's with the blank look? Did I say something weird?" Ryota asked me while looking at my face curiously. "Can I get your height, weight, and pant size?" I asked with a completely serious face.

"I might've let the height and weight slide, but why in the world would you need to know my pants size?!" Ryota asked me with a surprised look on his face and I couldn't keep my face straight anymore and let out a laugh. "Sorry, I was mostly joking with you. So what are Stray Transients? And what's a Gate" I asked him and Ryota looked at me surprise. "I'm surprised you haven't heard of Gates or Stray Transients. Just who are you? You seem like a normal human. . . You are, aren't you?" Ryota looked at me with a serious look as he questions me.

" I have no idea either. I am as lost as you are." I told him with a serious face causing Ryota jaw to drop in shock at how directly I said this. I wonder if this is not a normal thing that people who get summon deal with.

"What, you don't know either? Are you lost? Or maybe you have amnesia or something? Then let's talk a bit while we walk. Maybe you'll remember something along the way." Ryota told me with a smile and he then lift the hand that wasn't be held by me then point at something.

"Here, take a look. See that over there?" In the direction Ryota was pointing in I saw a huge pillar of light that was easy to notice in the night and I felt my jaw drop in shock. 'How the fuck did I not notice that huge ass light' I thought to myself while looking at the huge light going through the sky.

"That pillar of light shining brightly in the night is what we call a Gate. It used to be peaceful here in Shinjuku Central Park. Back then, the park even had food stands." Ryota told me with a nostalgic look on his face.

"But one day, a giant pillar of light appeared out of nowhere. It wasn't just here in Shinjuku, but elsewhere in Tokyo, too. There are twenty-three of them in all.Those locations and the surrounding areas have been designated as Special Restricted Zones. Well, they call it restricted, but it's not strictly enforced or anything. People can still enter at their own risk, If they want. As long as it's not dark, people pass through to take shortcuts and such. But personally, I'm not going near those things for a long while! Uuuugh, I think I'm going to be traumatized." Ryota said his hand squeezing mine tightly his face turning pale.