Chapter 12 - Don't go BREAK-IN my heart

Start from the beginning

Kimi
Morning Hawks! I had a lot of fun too! But it'll take more than that to get me buying red wings! 🤣

Papa Bird 🐓
Challenge accepted cutie! Though you are picking the date next week so I look forward to seeing what you come up with 😎

Kimi
Just you wait and see! I'll blow you away BirdBoi! 💪

Papa Bird 🐓
Haha I like the sound of that 😏

Kimi
Staaaaap 🙈

Papa Bird 🐓
You won't be saying that next week! 😏

Kimi
Hawks!!

Papa Bird 🐓
I love it when you scream my name 😏

Kimi
Why are you like this? 😑

Papa Bird 🐓
Okay Babybird, I'm just kidding! *cough* sort of *cough* I can't wait for next week 😘

Kimi
Me either, I'll text you when I figure out what we're doing! 😊

Papa Bird 🐓
Sounds good cutie xx

I stare down at the conversation and can't help the wide grin that stretches across my face. Normally flirty guys put me on edge. I'm awkward and generally inexperienced when it come to love, given my one and only ex boyfriend. But Hawks makes me feel safe. His flirting isn't uncomfortable or pushy, it's lighthearted and honestly just a lovable part of his personality. Though he couldn't be any more different than Touya. Whenever Touya tried to flirt with me, he would start sweating, stuttering and blush like crazy. It was adorable and something that I could tease him endlessly about.

Stop. I am not going to keep comparing Hawks to Touya. Touya isn't coming back. 'You can't write your future when you are constantly reading your last chapter' my tumblr subconscious ranted.

"Okay baby let's get you some breakfast!" I cheerfully exclaim over my shoulder at Peanut.

Although his name is Peanut, my feathered baby doesn't actually care for Peanuts. He used to love them but now has a far more sophisticated palate. I chop up a banana and add walnuts into his dish but as I get close to him I notice something that makes me pause. He had dried blood on his beak.

"Oh my God! Baby are you okay?! What happened?"I ask placing the dish on the table and delicately taking him out of his cage, cradling him against my chest as I examine his beak.
He struggled to get out of my hands having seen the food sitting beside us but I managed to get a clear view of his beak. It didn't seem damaged but it clearly had dried blood around the tip. He didn't seem hurt but where the hell did that blood come from?

I gently placed him on the table beside the dish and watched him tuck in. Between the smell of smoke, the open window and now Peanut's beak, something was seriously wrong. I glanced at the ground and my panic escalated. Small specks of blood were scattered across the pale wooden floor stretching from Peanut's cage to my bedroom. Any suspicions I had that someone was in my apartment last night had been confirmed. Ahhh what do I do?! Do I call the police? I don't think anythings been taken? Should I call Hawks? Then again we've only been on one date, it's a bit too soon to have him be my emergency contact!

So like any 20-something I called the only person who can help...

"Mom! Morning, sure you can add dad to the call ... yeah I'm good. Well not really.. umm so I think someone broke into my apartment last night." I speak through my phone in a somewhat feeble attempt to sound calm.