Chapter 44 - A league of their own

Kimi's POV

I never could drink alcohol. It wasn't just the uncomfortable burn it left on the lining of the throat it was something about the strong chemical scent that always made me sick. Yet here I was, waking up to the overpowering stench of alcohol. It wasn't that fruity sugar infused alcohol either, this was whiskey that must have been distilled over decades to give off the pungent aroma.

I tried to move my arms only to find them restrained behind my back, held by tight knots fixing me in place. Wincing from the rope scratching against my skin I blinked open my eyes to see a dimly lit room, the only light being emitted from an old gas lamp in the far corner. The room wasn't run down but it did look barren. The only object besides the gas lamp that was tightly fixed to the wall was the chair I was currently tied to. What the hell is going on?

The events of last night slowly filtered back and I remembered Touya telling the warp gate villain that I was a healer. That jerk! He actually told him the League of Villians could use me! How could he do that? Why did he even show up at my apartment again? He was the one who said I was better off without him so why does he keep coming back and even worse why did he get me involved with the league?!

My thoughts were quickly interrupted by a metalic scrapping sound coming from behind me and my blood ran cold. This is serious. These aren't some small time gang members these are the League of Villians. They tried to kill UA students, they won't think twice about killing me. Does this mean that Bakugou is here?! If he is I have to get him out. I could serve as a distraction, help him escape and he can send the authorities here in no time. Then again the warp gate guy wouldn't exactly make that easy. As soon as he caught on he could just open a portal and we'd be gone before the heroes could even get here.

"Hey doll. You're awake..." Touya trailed off as he knelt down in front of me until we were eye level with one another. It was strange seeing him this closely. The light from the gas lamp did nothing to hide the shiny cracked scars that littered his face and neck and the metalic staples protruding from his curled fingers seemed to glow a soft orange under the artificial light. He was beautiful. Maybe not in the traditional sense but something about him drew me in just as much as it did when we were younger. His eyes hadn't changed, not really anyway. They were a little colder perhaps but the familiar striking blue that always made my heart beat a little fast remained unchanged.

"Why did you do that?" I asked, my voice sounding dry and cracking.

"I- they would have killed you if I didn't. I'll get you out of here doll. I promise." He said looking behind me at the door from which he had just come.

"Why should I believe that? You haven't exactly got a track record of keeping your promises." My voice sounded far more bitter than I had wanted it to and I watched him flinch at the harshness.

"I know but- not this time. I swear. I won't let them hurt you doll." He spoke in a whisper, one of his cold hands coming up to my face and brushing back my hair behind my ear. The intimate contact sent shivers down my spine and I felt myself look away. This isn't right. Don't get attached. You are with Keigo. You love Keigo. Besides, he's just going to leave again. If I make it out of here alive that is.

"I'm sorry" his breathy voice sighed against the shell of my ear.

"You said it yourself they would have killed me if-"

"Not about that. I'm sorry for everything doll. I've caused you nothing but pain and you don't deserve that. You don't deserve any of this. I'm sorry and I ... I never stopped loving you, you know that?"  He spoke softly before cupping my face and placing a delicate but firm kiss against my lips. The feel of his scarred lips against my smooth ones was strange and yet familiar. This was Touya. My Touya. Not Dabi. Not a stranger. For one moment it felt like I was 16 again and lounging in Touya's room listening to classic rock songs.  But I'm not 16 any more. I'm not the same innocent girl who day dreamed about being a hero or running away with my childhood sweetheart. I have a duty to the students of UA and a genuine love for Keigo and I'm not just going to throw either of those away for a relived moment of bliss.