Chapter 2 - Bird Boy

Recap

My eyes narrowed at a tall thick oak that lay 5 feet from me. It was definitely large enough to hide behind. I steady my breath and once again the cold world around me fell into silence. Hot breath hit my neck.

"What we looking at cutie?" Came a voice from right beside my face.

--------------------------------------------------

Upon instinct I gasped and swung the bag off my shoulder and proceeded to hit the stranger in the face with it.

"Ah, what the?! I'm sorry I shouldn't have sneaked up on you, okay? Can you please stop hitting me?!" the stranger yelped covering his head with his hands.

I stopped, bag still raised, taking in his appearance for the first time. He was at least a foot taller than me, though his head was bent significantly in an attempt to escape my violent swings. His hair was a sandy gold and ruffled gently giving him a sort of boyish charm. However, the most painfully obvious feature he possessed were two large scarlet wings protruding from his back. They rested casually behind him looking unbelievably soft and I was trying hard to resist the urge to touch them.

"Jeez kid what's in your bag? Rocks?" he mused rubbing his head whilst looking up at me with a smile to show he wasn't hurt or nearly as annoyed as someone who had taken a bag to the face should have been.

At this point I was finally able to see his face and oh my goodness I thought his wings looked beautiful, but his face was heart stopping! He looked about my age, with sharp eyes the colour of liquid gold, and an even sharper jawline. I could feel heat rush to my cheeks and my mouth grew dry, all thoughts of the creeper in the trees gone.

"Well, are you gonna tell me what you were doing staring angrily at a tree and why you took your anger out on my beautiful face?" he grinned.

"Oh yeah! Umm sorry about that. I-I thought I heard someone behind me and you caught me off guard." I stuttered out trapping my hands together nervously and trying to avoid eye contact. Damn it why is he making me so nervous?!

"Haha don't worry about it! You can hit me anytime you like cutie" he winked, causing my blush to deepen. Who did this guy think he is?

"Well, you shouldn't be creeping up on women walking alone! I - I'm sorry that I hit you, but I should probably get going." I mutter, bowing slightly and shuffling away. If I stay any longer my face will look like a tomato. I hadn't really considered crushes since Touya but this guy was making my heart pound and my hands sweat and I had no idea how to handle it. The best course of action is to retreat and hide in my room watching anime with my parrot.

Upon my attempt to get back to my introverted sanctuary I was tugged to a gentle stop by my arm.

"Please don't hit me again, but you said you thought someone was following you?" He enquired looking genuinely concerned.
I nodded not fully trusting my ability to speak, hyper aware of the gloved hand still resting on my arm.

"Then at least let me make sure you get home alright. I wouldn't be much of a hero if I let a cutie like you walk home with a creep lurking around" he smiled lightly, waiting for my approval.
As much as I wanted to get away from him and slow my heartbeat, the mention of the stranger set me on edge.

"Wait... you're a hero?" I asked still slightly unsure.

"Yeah, number 3 sweetheart. Names Hawks" he said with a cheeky grin before taking my hand and placing a light kiss upon it. (A.N. this is before All Might stepped down)

Oh my God. Did he just do that? Thank goodness he is wearing gloves because my hands are sweating out fountains. Okay Kimiko, play it cool. Be polite.

"Never heard of you" I mutter pulling my hand back in an awkward fashion.
Ahh why did I do that?! Yes, this is awkward but I distinctly remember telling myself to be polite. I should apologise. Yeah I'll say sorry and -

"Hahahaha, jeez you don't hold back huh sweetheart?" Hawks bent forward clenching his stomach and smiling widely.

"Sorry, I just ... I ... umm" my hands were moving around with every incoherent word I muttered whilst my eyes shifted as though a perfect script would pop out of the air and tell me what to say.

"I'm sorry that came out rude. I would appreciate you walking me home". I lightly bowed, more so out of the need to avoid eye contact than for respect but none the less I was proud of myself for not stuttering.

"Who said anything about walking sweetheart? Hop on my back I'll fly us there in no time!" Hawks grinned turning around and crouching slightly to allow me to easily climb onto his back.

"Oh no. Absolutely not. I'm not flying home on your back!" I gasp with wide eyes at the suggestion. He glanced back at me over his shoulder.

"Awe you scared of heights?" he asked clearly amused.

"No." I shake my head, my arms coming up to cross over my chest. "Just falling from them."

His smile widened, my response eliciting a small chuckle from him.
"Don't worry sweetheart. I wont drop you. I promise."

As uneasy as I felt, he sounded genuine. And a part of me did want to have him fly me home, if even just so that I could touch his wings. This gave me the perfect opportunity to touch them without looking like a creep or some perverted fangirl.

"Fine." I mumble. "But If you do drop me I'll come back from the grave and haunt you Birdboy!"

"Duley noted ma'am" Hawks gave me a slight salute and crouched further as I slung my bag strap over my shoulders and began to climb onto his back. His feathers brushed against my face and hands as I moved my arms around his shoulders, my hands meeting just below the base of his neck. As I expected his feathers were unbelievably soft. They felt like silk against my skin and I had to resist the urge to run my hands through them. As I was having this internal battle of wills I felt Hawks clasp his hands at the back of my thighs, which only caused me to blush deeper and hide my face in the crook of his neck to avoid him seeing the effect he had on me.

"Hold on tight cutie" he grinned as we took off. I gasped, my legs coming round to cling tightly onto him as we moved higher and higher into the air, the park growing smaller as we went. Had I looked closely then, I may have noticed the dark shadow moving out from behind the tree line and gazing up at us, their striking blue eyes filled with nothing but rage and longing.

"So now that we have established that I'm not some creep who hangs around parks looking for young women, mind telling me where we're going?" Hawks asked me keeping his eyes forward.
I gave him my address without looking at him, too consumed by the view of the city from a birds perspective. It was far more beautiful than I ever imagined and all fear of falling had vanished.

We eventually made it to my apartment and Hawks gently released my legs moving me off his back. The warmth of his body and the soft caress of this feathers was replaced with the cold dry air of September and I felt myself wanting to be back against his wings.

We stared at each other briefly before I managed to mumble out a thank you, a small smile making it's way onto my face.

Hawks patted my head ruffling my hair slightly, "no problem cutie, glad you enjoyed the ride and that you dont need to haunt me in your afterlife ... though if the ghost was as cute as you I don't think I'd mind" he winked.

My face turned scarlet. This man will seriously be the death of me if he keeps up this flirting. I mumbled an incoherent thank you before shuffling towards by door. Only to be called back once again by Hawks.

"Hey, I think you forgot this!" He grins holding up a small white rectangle.

I shook my head confused. "I don't think that's mine".

"It's not. It's mine but I want you to have it. Make sure you use it sweetheart, or else you'll break this poor birds heart" he smiled as he handed me the small white card before turning and flying away without another word.

I glanced down at the paper only to find that it was his business card. I starred at it confused before flipping it over to see he had written his personal number out with the words "Give me a call sometime, cutie".