Chapter 62: August's POV

Start from the beginning

---

As Raven and I walked through town, it felt weird having pack members stare at me as if they had seen a ghost. In reality I may have been to them. I hadn't left the cabin since we found out. Ella decided to tag along with us, she was excited I finally left the house. When we got to the plant nursery we began to look around, deciding which tree I would want to plant.

"Hi Luna August, how're you today? What brings you here?" The submissive asked, pushing her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"He's wanting to plant a tree as a memorial to his pup." Raven answered for me. "And possibly get a bench as well? Do you sell those here?"

"Of course we do! Here let me show you!" She grinned at us, motioning her hand for us to follow her. She showed us her small array of benches, I ended up picking one that was wooden with iron work on the back of it. We looked around the nursery, a cherry blossom tree piqued my interest. "Are you sure about that one Luna? They're pretty finicky."

I nodded my head, she then told me the rest of the supplies I would need in order to take care of the tree and explained to us how to plant the tree properly.

We waited for Romeo to arrive with his truck so he could help us take it to the pack house. Raven bagan telling me about their new house that they had just moved into not too long ago. I didn't even realize that they had moved out of the packhouse. I was so wrapped up in my own world to notice that my friend had passed a big milestone. Ella shifted uncomfortably, I could tell she was holding something in but didn't say anything.

When we arrived at the pack house with everything loaded up, Romeo asked me where I wanted to put the tree. I found a decent area in the courtyard of the packhouse. He placed the tree down and asked Raven to help him get the shovels from the maintenance shed out back. I got the itchy feeling that others were watching me, making me feel uncomfortable.

"I'm glad you finally escaped your cave." Ella explained, wrapping her arm around my shoulders. "I really missed you."

"I miss me too." I furrowed my eyebrows, clutching my hands to my chest.

"August, I want to tell you something I-" Ella was cut off with Raven and Romeo carrying shovels for us to dig the hole. When they tried to hand Ella one she passed shaking her head. "I can't."

"What?" Raven quirked his eyebrow. "Why not?"

She looked back at me, hurt flashed in her eyes. "I kind of wanted to talk to August first."

"Well you can talk to him while we dig up the hole." He rolled his eyes holding out the shovel for her to grab.

"That's the thing, I can't dig the hole..." She explained. "Kathy said not to do strenuous work. Guys, I found out I'm pregnant." Ella announced, I suddenly understood the uncomfortable look she had been shifting uncomfortably earlier.

Raven looked at me to see how I would react. I pulled Ella into a hug and began crying in her shoulder, I was honestly happy for her. It just reminded me how I had neglected them, how I had been in such a deep depression that I didn't realize that my friends had things that were going on that they normally would have shared with me as soon as they found out. I had wallowed in self pity for months, not caring about anything or anyone. Not even myself.

I could tell why Ella had been so hesitant to tell me, knowing her she probably thought that she was waving it in my face that she was going to have what I didn't. Honestly, I was happy for her, over the year, she's gone through a lot as well. Having her mate initially reject her, then she had to suffer her first heat once she found her mate, alone because of the rejection. Honestly she deserves a small bit of happiness.

"I'm happy for you." I cried into her shoulder. She embraced me, tucking her head into my shoulder.

"Thank you, I'm so sorry." She whined. "I didn't know how to tell you."

"It's okay, I'm just happy for you." I pulled from her, wiping my tears. "I'm sorry I haven't been there for y'all." I looked from Raven to Ella.

"You've always been there for us, babe. This time we needed to be there for you." Raven responded. They had always been there for me during my tragedies, when I got marred by the rogue wolf. Though I had kept Winston being comatose from them, had I let them know I knew they would have been there for me then too. Lastly, after I lost my baby, they were there for me almost every day. They took their time out of the day to spend time that could have otherwise been spent with their mate, with me. They were the best of friends I could have asked for. Raven and Ella also helped me pick out the tree, Raven came up with the idea for the memorial.

I just couldn't get any better of friends than them. They were my ride or die friends.

"I'm just so sorry I haven't been in the right headspace lately, I really needed time to heal after losing my baby."

"If you ever need to really talk about it, we're always here for you." Ella explained. I had carried all of the guilt with me for so long. Thinking it was my fault, in reality I knew I couldn't really have stopped the moon goddess from her work. Our angel was meant to look over us, and as much as it hurt I knew I would be alright.

Kathy had given us the okay to try again, but Alexandre hadn't touched me intimately since Harman and Abram's ceremony. I still didn't think I was ready to share that intimacy, but I think actually paying attention to my mate, and responding to his kisses would be an alright start.

---

Once the tree was planted Raven and Romeo went home to finish unpacking, Ella said she had to go with Joseph into town to get something. So that left me alone, sitting at the tree we had just planted. I hadn't realized how warm the weather had gotten. I had spent months as a shut in and the season had quickly changed from spring to summer. I would have been five months pregnant by now, my stomach would have been swollen and I would have most likely begun to feel them move beneath my palms.

I sighed, looking around, noticing that several pack members were walking around the courtyard, looking at me. I started to feel uncomfortable, I stood from the bench and made my way to Alexandre's office. I hadn't been here in a while either. I stood outside the door, unsure if I should barge in like I used to, or if I should knock.

I ended up knocking on the door, waiting for my mate's response. I heard arguing on the other side of the door. After a few moments he didn't respond, so I let myself inside of his office.

What they were arguing about made my heart drop.