Chapter 44: August's POV

Tomorrow surely sucked, that's for sure. Around four in the morning, Malikai woke me up, shaking me, telling me that his water had broken, and he was panicking, telling me he still had two more months until Persephone was due. I called Kathy in a panic, she explained that I needed to get Malikai to the packhouse maternity ward and meet us there.

After a few hours of me waiting, Kathy came out and explained that today Malikai. She told me that she was waiting for a specialist to come from another pack due to the baby being early. Kathy said she had never delivered a baby this soon before the due date, she wanted to make sure they were taking all of the right precautions to ensure the baby had a fighting chance. The pack healer that had delivered me three months early had long since passed on. So when Kathy explained she would need help, I only agreed that it would be best.

She let me into the room with him, he was hooked up to the sonogram machine, the baby's heartbeat thumped away like a freight train. "She gave me medicine to stop the contractions, it didn't work." Malikai choked, his eyes were puffy. I could tell he had been crying for a while, his eyes were puffy full of sorrow.

"Well babe, you need to calm down, we're waiting for a specialist to come here," I explained, sitting next to him, my hips and rear protested me sitting down. I grabbed his free hand and started running my thumb over the top.

"How can I calm down when I fail at the one thing a good parent is supposed to do? Protect their children." He agonized. "I couldn't even carry her to full term August. I was supposed to carry her for six more weeks." He strained.

"I think she's just excited to meet her daddy." I gave him a small smile. "Look, I was born early as well, don't worry, everything will be alright." I tried being optimistic.

"I'm also fucking up the day, you're supposed to find out if Alpha Alexandre is your mate or not..." He trailed off. "I'm so sorry about judging you last night." He winced as a visible contraction hit him.

"Don't worry about that right now, it's still pretty early in the day. Let's worry about you and Persephone. Okay?" I began rubbing his arm to comfort him.

I got to my feet, combing his locks out of his face with my fingers. The marks that once littered his chest and neck were now faded scars. He had grown so much in the months we had been living together, he became more confident in himself, he even grew to adore his baby girl. He just had a different aura around him that radiated with love and happiness for the child growing inside of him.

For the next hour, I kept reassuring him that everything would be alright and that I was born prematurely as well, and I'm alive and healthy. Repeating those words to Malikai began to calm him down a little, especially when I explained I was born earlier than Persephone would be.

He eventually calmed enough to take a nap, waking up to shift into a comfortable position periodically. The only sound in the room was the sound of the machine emitting the baby's heartbeat. I continued running my fingers through his hair to comfort him.

A soft knock on the door sounded before someone opened the door. In walked a male in his mid 20's holding onto a clipboard, his hair neatly cut, his brown eyes hid behind a pair of glasses. He didn't look up, focusing on the information that was on the clipboard.

"Is there any way you could wake him?" He looked at me. I nod, shaking Malikai awake.

He whined, keeping his eyes closed. He muttered something I couldn't quite hear, but a lone tear slid out of his eye. "Kai you need to wake up; the doctor is here."

"Anyone but him, please?" He pleaded, keeping his eyes closed. His breathing became erratic, I could hear the sound of the baby's heart slow down.