-19- In danger

-19- In danger

After Yibo spent a whole week in bed with a fever, he could finally get up again today. He still felt weak, but he could already feel his body changing. When he looked in the mirror, he was amazed. His skin looked like it was made of porcelain. Bright, cold, smooth and yet in an amazingly way soft, when he touched it.

Zhan helped Yibo as they went into the living room with the others. Yibo could smell the blood mixture already in the hallway there. Almost painfully, he felt this hunger within himself.

When they were with the others in the living area, the other family members were very pleased that Yibo was finally better. They sat together at the table and Zhan helped him drink his blood mixture. Yibo hoped that he would finally regain his strength in the days to come. Even though he secretly liked how much Zhan spoiled him.

Yibo told the others what he could remember about the night his mother killed his father and most of their clan members. Yibo swore: "If she were still alive, I would kill her. Merciless!"

Zhan's father nodded. "She deserved it too. After over a hundred years as a vampire, she should have known better. But I also want to know how she survived for so long? Did she always eat with you?"

Yibo thought about it and then shook his head. "No, not really. Whenever I came home from school, she had already eaten. She always told me that she had to eat on time because of the medication she was taking. My father and I also always ate dinner alone. She always said that when she prepared dinner, she always ate on the side and therefore she was no longer hungry.

"So she hid it. But where do you think she got her blood mixture from?" Zhan's father asked.

"Maybe she didn't drink any blood mixture?" Yibo asked.

"I'm sure she did. Because if she drank pure blood, she would have been much wilder and it would have been noticed eventually. Because her thirst for blood would have grown. She would have killed your stepfather too. Because the smell of his blood would have driven her to madness." Zhan's father explained.

"Right. And even if she had taken the entire clan's supply, it would never have lasted nine years. And the blood mixture won't last forever either. That means she must have had a dealer." Zhan's mother added.

"In those days, a woman always came to visit. She came once a month and only talked to my mother. They always sat in her room and when the woman came, she always had a big suitcase with her. Maybe the blood mixture was in it." Yibo said.

"I guess I know who that woman was. There are only two others who know my recipe. One is my wife and one is my sister." Said Zhan's father.

Just as Yibo was about to say something, he paused. His neck hair stood up and he noticed a strange smell. The others also seemed alarmed. And the one strange smell became several. Suddenly Zhan pulled Yibo up from his chair and said, "You will now do exactly as I tell you. Now you will get dressed very quickly, then I will take you to the garage, there is a van there. With this you will drive to your home. You will hide there until I come for you. Do you understand?"

Yibo started shaking and didn't understand what was happening. But nodded and put on a long coat that Zhan gave him. Then they went through a secret passage. In this passage, Zhan said, "Wait for me at home. If you get hungry. There are about ten boxes in the van, packed to the brim with the blood mixture. Please do not worry. I will follow as soon as possible."

"What's wrong?" Yibo asked.

"We are under attack. These unknown vampires that have been terrorizing here for some time, are more than we thought and they are attacking the clans." Zhan explained.

"I want to stay with you Zhan."

"My precious Yibo, don't worry, I will follow you soon. You're still too weak from the fever. I don't want you to get hurt. Please wait for me in your home. I promise I'll be there. I'll hurry."

"Why don't you come with me Zhan?"

"Because I have to protect my family here. You understand that, right? You know I love you very much and I will do everything I can to be with you again very soon. But first I have to make sure my family is safe."

"Mm. I understand. But I really want you to come."

"Of course, Yibo." Said Zhan. They reached the garage where the van was, and Zhan gave Yibo the key. He kissed Yibo repeatedly, told him to just drive and not try to stick around. He should not come back here unless Zhan tells him to.

Yibo nodded and began to cry. He did not want to be separated from Zhan again. But he didn't want to be a burden to Zhan either, weak as he was. So he started the engine and led in the direction indicated by Zhan.

And as he drove, he could feel the danger. All of his senses turned on and he felt something lurking inside him, just waiting to be set free. But he also felt that he was too weak. Whoever these strange vampires are, they feed on pure blood and he, who just got over the fever, is totally inferior to them.

Yibo had perhaps only driven 1000 meters when he suddenly heard a strange noise and shortly after that an extremely loud bang. He stopped the van, jumped out of the van, looked in the direction of the country house and a big pillar of fire and black smoke rose. Yibo was about to panic when he could hear Zhan's voice in his head. "Keep driving Yibo, don't stay in sight. Drive and get to safety."

Yibo got back into the van, restarted the engine and drove off. It was only when he was standing in front of his front door that he stopped and stayed in the van for about ten more minutes before he grabbed one of the boxes and went upstairs to his apartment. Fortunately it was night and no one saw him coming. He didn't even need light, because his eyes could see everything.

As he sat in his apartment, he was still shaking all over his body, he noticed that he was crying and scared. He felt so weak, hoping that when the fever was over he would wake up and be a strong vampire like his ZhanZhan.

Hour after hour Yibo sat in his apartment and waited. He kept going out on the balcony, to the window and back to the living room. But Zhan just didn't show up. And when daylight came, Yibo had to keep the curtains closed and sat on his sofa with bent knees. His concern for Zhan was almost unbearable.

At some point in the early morning hours, Yibo's sleep had caught up with him. His body was still so weak that he simply could not stay awake. He lay on the sofa and drifted away into the dream world.

In his dream, he ran all the way from his apartment, back to the country house and wanted to look for Zhan. But when he got there, there was nothing there but smoke, ashes and the strong smell of blood. Again and again Yibo called out for Zhan, but he did not answer. Yibo felt that Zhan was still alive, but where was he? Where is Zhan?

A loud knocking at his apartment door finally woke Yibo up again. He ran to the door hoping it was Zhan. But it was not him. It was Zhan's mother, sister and brother. Their clothes were soaked in blood, their faces marked by a heavy fight. "Where is ZhanZhan?" Yibo asked panicked.

"We hoped he's here." Said Zhan's mother, who began to cry.

Yibo fell to the ground and began to cry as well. Cheng and Yanli hugged him and their mother. "He will be fine. He is strong. Do not worry Yibo. He will come back to you." Whispered Yanli.

They all sat in the living room, hoping Zhan and his father would finally come back or at least let them know they were okay. And only now did he learn that Zhan's parents are also mates and have never been separated since they found each other. Which is why Zhan's mother was suffering terribly.

In the evening, when there was still no sign of Zhan and his father and they still didn't get in touch, Yibo stood on his balcony and stared out into the dark landscape. He whispered softly, "Where are you?"