Chapter 43: The Ball

Start from the beginning

My eyes widen like a deer in headlights, and I look at Matteo who looks bored as ever. "This is Mia." He states.

Stefani holds his hand out and shakes mine jollily, as if he is ever so excited to meet me. "Bellissimo esemplare, molto bello." (Beautiful specimen, very beautiful.) He says to Matteo.

"Sono una persona." (I am a person.) I state with venom. "Non un esemplare." (Not a specimen.)

Matteo's hand instantly reappears on my arm, warning me. I look up to his eyes and he shakes his head ever so subtly, with that bland expression on his face.

Sefano's face falters ever so slightly before reappearing with that large smile. "E la ragazza sa parlare italiano! Perfetto! Dimmi bella, dove ti ha trovata Matteo?" (And the girl can speak Italian! Perfect! Tell me beautiful, where did Matteo find you?)

I look back up at Matteo. "Don't answer that." He says to me, then looking back up to Stefano. "It has been a pleasure seeing you again, but unfortunately I have others I must speak with. If you'll excuse us."

Before the jolly man can say anything in return, I am dragged away by Matteo, who scans the room with his eyes, finding people who I guess he needs to talk with.

This is going to be a long night.

***

The night progresses painfully slow.

The cash stashed within my bra is burning a hole in my chest, the longer it remains there, and the only thing I can think about is escape.

Matteo has dragged me along to talk with many of his colleagues, but I automatically switch off when they discuss business talk, and begin looking for exits. So far it's been unsuccessful, but I'm still hopeful.

"Hello Matteo." A woman's voice purrs from behind us.

Matteo turns, just as I do.

I'm instantly drawn to her dark, almost black eyes. They are so familiar, they remind me so much of someone...

She's about my height with shoulder length, black hair that is straightened perfectly. She wears a blood-red gown that syncs at the waist, then pulling out at the bottom. She's very beautiful.

"Katerina." Matteo drawls, his face looking as bland as ever, though I notice his eye twitches slightly at the sight of her. Oh shit, what did this woman do to Matteo?

"I didn't expect to see you here, and especially with a little pet." She says.

"I could say the same thing for you. I didn't think you enjoyed gatherings such as these."

I look back and forth between the two, there are so many similarities between them, are they-

"Oh come on, big brother. You know how much I love a good party."

Oh shit.

I can see Matteo clench his jaw, while his hands ball into fists. It looks like he's about to beat someone up. He looks infuriated. Now I really want to know what happened between these siblings.

"Why don't you introduce me to your arm candy." Katerina suggests, though it seems more like an order. Even she seems to radiate power, just as Matteo. The similarities between them is unparalleled.

"This is Mia." Matteo grits.

"Mia." Katerina says, as if tasting the name. "I have a suspicion that she is here against her will, big brother. Am I right?"

I don't even know what to think at the moment. All I know is that Matteo is very uncomfortable, and I'm loving it.

"Shouldn't you be getting back to your pretty wife?" Matteo spits, squeezing my arm even more.

"Matteo, be a gentleman and get me and your pretty friend a drink." Katerina smirks, avoiding Matteo's command.

I think I like this girl. "Don't worry, I'll take good care of her." She says, taking hold of my arm, while Matteo holds the other.

"Stay right here." Matteo growls into my ear, before taking off in a storm of anger through the crowd, to go get drinks.

Wow, I didn't think he would actually leave me with her. Maybe this is my chance I need to escape.

Katerina watches as Matteo fades away before looking back towards me. Her lips melt into a smile that would make anyone drop to their knees. "He really is a handful." She remarks.

I nod my head, not sure what to say, and if she'll report it back to him. Though it seems she won't, I can't trust anyone these days.

"Alright, let me get straight to it." Katerina says, her smile long gone. "I'm guessing that you hate him almost as much as me, so I have a proposition."

------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,
I'm so sorry this chapter is kinda boring, the next chapter will be good I promise!
Also I just wanted to thank you all for 200k, like that is insane, and I never would've thought we would make it this far, but we have, so thank you! Ya'll are freaking awesome
Love you guys!
-FoggyCloudyWords