°•Chapter 2•°

surprise
/səˈprʌɪz/

noun

1.
an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, etc.

~ ~ ~

''Urgh.. Shit.'' I groan as soon as I sit up in my bed in cabin three and look around mischievously.

I can't remember anything from yesterday, to be honest. What day is it even today? Am I still alive or is this the underworld again?

While pressing one hand against my temple, I place my feet on the floor for getting myself to stand up. Unsuccessful.

''Gods, what happened?''

Then the realization comes in.
The mission and the fact that I got knocked out slowly start to find its way into my mind. Another groan comes from my chest up, and out of my mouth, which is grimacing because of the sudden pain in shoulders.

''Looks like the sleeping princess has finally awaken.'' I hear a voice laughing quietly and title my head into the direction.
''Right.'' I grin a bit at Tyson, who is sitting on the floor next to his bunk bed and is reading out of a book, which title my dyslexia doesn't allow to read at all because it isn't showing completely.

''How is your shoulder?'' Tyson looks up at me as I try to move my arm carefully.
''It's just tensed up.'' I thrift my teeth when the pain shoots through my muscles and I grimace again.

''Totally,'' He smirks sarcastically. ''You should either find some water and heal yourself, or go to Will so that he can help you.''

''Probably.'' I show him a smile before standing up completely and putting my gray hoodie on, which is lying on the floor in front of my bed.
''Oh, come on,'' I look down on myself and notice how several holes are inside of it. ''That was my favourite.''

''Why would you wear a hoodie to a mission, though?'' Tyson laughs loudly and ends up in snorting quite fast, from what I glare at him in annoyance.
''Because it's comfortable.'' I just let out in a sigh and start walking towards the door of our cabin.
''It's four in the morning, where are you going?'' Tyson raises an eyebrow at me, but I already pull the door open.

Shivers are spreading all over my skin the moment the cold air is finding its way to me and I breathe in deeply. While the door is closing behind me, I close my eyes and let the cold and wet air stroke over me quietly.
Some would say it feels uncomfortable, but I think it can be freeing.

As soon as the moment passes by, I open my eyes again and find my way downstairs and to the edge of the cliff in our camp, which is above the water.
To be honest, I didn't heal myself or anything else yet.

Enjoying the moment, I wince when a noise comes from the bushes.

What?

I turn around in surprise and breathe out as I recognize the person which caused the noise. Relief fills me when I show them a smile.

The black, slightly curly hair, the chocolate brown eyes with dark circles under them, the usually dark clothing and the kind of worried look on his face.
Nico Di Angelo. I would always recognize this Zombie Dude.

Wait- this is just a normal description, right? Nothing special about it. I am just overthinking my thoughts again. Gods, I am a mess.

''Hey.'' I clear my throat when not a single word comes from my company.
Nico seems to wake up out of his weird stare at me.

Was he staring at me? Or behind me? Is there something on my face?

''Hi.'' He lets out silently and looks away to the ground before sitting down a bit behind me.
''You okay?'' I ask carefully and grin brightly when he nods agreeingly.
''Yeah, thanks.'' He goes quiet again and I turn around to sit into his direction.

Something is up with Nico. He seems incredibly tired and exhausted. His hairs are messy and his eyes are in a constant empty glance at a random point. His answers aren't better. Nico's voice is cold and nearly emotionless while his smile also seems to be forced.
I want to help him so bad, but I don't know what's wrong or how to even ask him. I feel so helpless. I never felt like this before!

''Are you sure?'' My voices cracks slightly at the last word and Nico glances up again. He doesn't look into my eyes, though.
''Yeah.'' Nico answers quietly and I leave it be.

If he doesn't want to talk, that is okay. I won't pressure him. I know, how bad that feels.

''Alright. What are you doing here?'' I change the subject and Nico leans back into the wet grass.
''I like to watch the sunrise.'' Nico exclaims and I grin widely.
''Really? Me too.'' I carry on smiling while sticking my fingers unconsciously through the torn holes of my sweater.
''Mhm.'' He mumbles and I don't even notice that I have been watching him the entire time.

Gods, what is my problem? I should be thinking and acting about Annabeth like this. Annabeth, my girlfriend.
Nico's just a friend. Simply a friend. A homie, a bro, a dude. Nothing more.
Annabeth is the person I love. Nothing more, nothing less.
Why do I even compare them?

The silence slowly starts to feel weirdly tightening and my urge to move or say something is growing more and more with every second which passes by.

''Percy?''