Ch 4: Impatient Patience

Start from the beginning

"Taking over for your parents seems like a lot of pressure." How was someone as normal as me ever going to manage it?

"I'm certain you can handle it as easily as you'll handle Lucas. He can be a bit abrasive, but he's also a loyal friend. His mate was killed by rogues a few years ago and he covers up his misery by being sardonic."

What a terrible thing to happen to the poor guy.

"And the other one, Brandon, is my best friend from childhood and Alpha of the Harvest Moon Pack, one of the closest packs to royal lands. You'll no doubt meet his mate, Serenity, once we get home."

There was something in his voice that made me question further. "Will she like me?"

"Oh, she'll adore you."

There had to be some catch. "Will I like her?"

"She's well meaning. She and Brandon love each other deeply, but they constantly fight over the most ridiculous issues. They don't communicate at all." He met my eyes and I shivered delightfully. "Promise you'll tell me what's bothering you if you have any concerns."

I smiled. "Yes, absolutely. You too."

"I promise," he agreed.

We sat in the little park and just took in each other's presence for a while before I began to notice that the number of people walking by and surreptitiously gawking was growing larger. It was not until the first phone was held aloft by someone I had never seen before in my life that I began to feel uneasy. I knew every single person in town and was at least slightly familiar with almost everyone who lived in my pack lands.

"Arthur?" I glanced at him for reassurance.

"Yes, I see. Shall we go back to your house?"

"Yeah," I agreed. I supposed this would be my life going forward.

I glanced at my glorious mate. I supposed it would be entirely worth it.

We both got onto his motorcycle and sped back to my house.

<<< << < > >> >>>

We hung out. I hung out with the freaking prince of the werewolf world in front of the television in my house for a couple of hours, until my mother had supper ready. She cooked a giant beef roast and several dishes to accompany it.

It was way fancier than what we usually ate, as if it were a holiday. Maybe it was, but I was also pretty sure she was trying not to disappoint our royal guest.

He did not seem to mind her over the top efforts to please him. He conversed amiably with my parents and my sister whenever she stopped crying long enough to carry on a conversation. His charm made my knees so weak I was grateful I was sitting down.

I mentioned the situation with my former almost co-worker, and he said he would have his people look into it. With an apology, he pulled out his phone and sent a message at once.

He was very attentive to me, and I could barely pry my eyes off of him. It was probably uncomfortable for the other people at the table, but it was not like I could check their faces to see what they were feeling with my eyes glued to his fantastic face.

My sister excused herself from the table and walked into the living room. "Um, Prince Arthur?"

"Yes? Although you can simply call me Arthur," he said.

"Okay, Arthur. There's a bunch of people outside."

Arthur looked mildly annoyed. "Just shut the curtains please, I'll handle it."