Chapter 21: The Kingdom's Good Fortune

Arthur's POV

I woke up with arms that were missing my mate. I had never had her with me throughout the night, but since the moment I met her I suddenly felt terribly alone when I slept. Or really any time that she was not in my direct vicinity.

I had to stop myself from suggesting she come to my room several dozen times each evening as bedtime grew close. Every day I knew her the inclination only grew in strength. That sneaking voice in the back of my mind told me I could simply hold her, but I was pretty sure it was lying.

My self-restraint had limits and they were being pushed every time I was around her. Every facet of Anne made me want to rush things along.

I was fortunate my wolf was so fixated on Anne's wolf or I probably would have lost the battle. Even without his constant pressure, the bond was strengthening to the point where it was driving me past the point of distraction.

I reached into my bedside table and pulled out a ring box. I worried if it was too soon, but I did not think I could hold back much longer. We were moving quickly, surely, but it was not unheard of for wolves to find their mates and immediately elope to the Fae Republic where one could get married without a waiting period.

Fairies were really big into tourism, it was one of the biggest contributors to the Fae Republic's GDP. Fairies were notoriously frivolous, but also free-spirited and entertaining. Apparently the idea of getting married quickly in a fairy circle and then spending the night drinking, gambling, dancing or other pleasurable pursuits appealed to some wolves.

A few of the alphas at the most recent alpha general assembly had tried to pass a motion barring marriage tourism, but it had been shot down.

It was hard to understand how presumably happily mated wolves could not sympathize with mate's desires to move things along quickly. While the fairies way was not exactly like our own, I definitely understood the rush, and doubly so now that I was personally experiencing it.

I sent a quick text to Andre to see how proposing to Anne would be viewed by the public before I pushed myself out of bed. I did not want to do it so soon if it made Anne's life more difficult.

I got dressed while scrolling through my daily planner, then my phone notifications, and then read Andre's response.

Andre: [There is some stirring about how quickly you and Lady Anne are progressing in your relationship, although about 50% of respondents think it's touching. There are rumours out that you've already marked her. Congratulations, assuming it's true, and the Daily Howl has been trying to get access for an interview with you and your mate.]

Me: [I'll speak to Anne and get back to you soon.]

Andre: [In the meantime I'll try to find out a more definitive answer to your question, Your Majesty.]

Me: [Very good, thank you.]

I set my phone down while I brushed my teeth and ran through the day in my mind. It was going to be another busy one.

Once Anne and I were married I would have to get her away from here so that I could finally have her to myself. I wondered where she would like to visit. Definitely somewhere we could get some privacy.

But first, I had to figure out how to handle the this whole proposal matter. I still had no good ideas. I could simply have the servants plan something out for me, but that felt like cheating. And surely, as her mate, I would have the best chance of figuring out exactly what she would love.

While I was certain she would agree, I still nervousness in my stomach at the thought of finally letting out the words and asking her. Maybe it could be like the previous night where I had told her that I loved her as easily as breathing.