Chapter 30: Future Princess or Future Tyrant

Author's Note:

I was running into some difficulty with copying and pasting text involving <>s recently, so to fix the problem, I was forced to strip them all and replace them with curly brackets along with removing all formatting. So now, {This is what mind link or wolf conversations will look like going forward}. And going backward, although that will be updated as I edit my way through.

So basically, right now the story is an inconsistent mess of formatting. How fun.

Thanks for reading this disaster!

<<< << < > >> >>>

I survived the rest of Arthur's and my engagement celebration, by some miracle. After Jane had decided she was done for the night, I spent the rest of the night glued to Arthur's side.

I wasn't the only one glued to my partner. Obviously most of the mates were the same, but so was my sister and Lucas. They weren't exactly touching, but they seemed to move in sync with each other. But after the long day and the whole Jane-Herbert situation, I didn't even have the emotional energy to care about the new ways my sister could get hurt.

At the end of the evening, I was tempted to ask Arthur to carry me back to our rooms, but I resisted the urge and managed to keep my future-princess facade up until we were safely behind closed doors. I clung to him, not wanting to let him go.

"Could we sleep together tonight?" I asked.

He froze.

"I mean, if it wouldn't be too hard on you. It's okay if you'd rather sleep alone. I just don't want to be apart from you."

His voice sounded a little strained, reminding me of what my wolf had said about him holding himself back. "Of course I'd like to sleep with you. My bed or yours?"

It was too late to back out, so I simply said, "Yours." I assumed that was the one we'd be using after the wedding. I quickly got dressed in comfy pyjamas and knocked on his door.

"Come in," he said.

I pushed open the door and found that he was just coming out of his closet, pyjama pants slung low on his hips as he pulled a t-shirt down. I watched until his toned stomach disappeared under the black cotton, and upon realizing that I had been gaping, I scurried over to his bed, feeling awkward.

The awkwardness didn't last long when he joined me in bed and wrapped me in his arms. As much as I loved the exciting feel of his hard body against mine, the comfort of his presence quickly lulled me to sleep.

<<< << < > >> >>>

Waking up in Arthur's arms was the best feeling imaginable. He tried to kiss me, but I dodged, worrying about morning breath. He didn't complain other than a cute pout. Looking manly and pouting theoretically seemed mutually exclusive, but it wasn't because he pulled it off perfectly.

The idea of pulling off Arthur's shirt and experiencing just how much better he looked without it crossed my mind, but I shook my head. My wolf was just giving me crazy ideas.

{Don't blame me, human, that one's all on you. Just go for it.}

{Like you did last night?}

{If you're referring to the way I put that unworthy bitch in her place, then yes, exactly like that.} Her tone was all silky satisfaction.

{You're not the one who has to deal with the fallout from your bad behaviour.}

{You wouldn't recognize bad behaviour if it bit you on the muzzle.}