CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

How long have I been staring at the chipped white paint on the door of my office?

Long enough to be considered insane.

It's been three days since I got home from Hawaii. And just as many days since I said no to Paul's proposal.

I finally told him my truth. I would never be ready to commit to him. That no matter how much I love him, and I really do, I'm not in love with him.

He took the rejection better than expected. Deep down, he knew that there was more to my uncertainty. That the decision shouldn't have been so hard. He just needed to hear it. I assured him that one day, he would make someone the happiest girl in the world. I even promised to help him find her.

After all, I haven't retired from matchmaking yet.

Despite the re-surfacing of long-buried feelings and emotional turmoil, I had survived. And for the first time in a long time, I have no plans. No expectations. Just the big, wide unknown. And I couldn't be more excited. I am ready to repair my life, starting with making this restaurant the best it can be, one little chip at a time.

Mark pokes his head through the door, "your presence is required on the outdoor terrace."

"The terrace was booked for a private event today. Is everything okay?"

"Umm," Mark avoids my gaze by glancing around my little office.

"Mark, what's going on?" I question sternly.

He smiles sheepishly, "the official story is that someone has asked for you."

"And the unofficial story?" I say with a curious glare.

Taking a step into the hallway, he looks left and right. Once he's sure that no one is around to overhear our conversation, he re-enters the room. "Sophie and Liam are here."

My eyes widen in astonishment. "What? They're not due back from Hawaii for two more days."

"It's meant to be a surprise so you better put on an oscar-winning performance when you get up there, lady."

I jump in excitement, "I promise."

I follow Mark out the door and to the first-floor bar. He hands me a bottle of champagne, "go and enjoy some time out."

I kiss him on the cheek, "love you."

"I am pretty lovable," he agrees. Mark walks beside me as I move to the base of the stairs, "I'll get Jen out with the menus."  

"Thank you," I call over my shoulder as I begin my ascent.

The delight at seeing my best friends has me strolling across the second floor dining area with a bounce in my step. Taking a steadying breath, I reach for the terrace door. I pull it wide, raise the champagne over my head and shout, "welcome ho-"

The words are lost on my tongue when I take in the surroundings. Liam and Sophie are nowhere to be seen. Instead, Ethan stands in the center of the room in a slick black suit, cradling a big bouquet of red roses. The terrace has been completely transformed. Every table in the large area has been decorated with rose petals and a single candle. With the lights dimmed, the room is entirely lit by candlelight.

"I certainly wasn't expecting such a warm welcome," he says with a smile.

I narrow my eyes in suspicion, "where are Sophie and Liam?"

"Living it up in Hawaii."

I put my head in my hand, "I'm going to kill Mark."

"Please don't. He helped me set this up," he waves his arm in the air.