CHAPTER NINETEEN

Is it too early to be out of bed? Absolutely.

But it's a small price to pay for a day of volcano exploration. Arriving at the airport at six in the morning, our small group caught an early flight to the Big Island. On arrival, we were picked up by a party bus and our tour began. The rainy weather has not dampened our spirits in the slightest.

I giggle as Sophie serenades us with a butchered rendition of Crazy in Love. I had yet to get in on the karaoke action as I was very hungover.

"You look slightly green," Liam states as he takes the seat next to me at the very back of the bus.

"I assure you, I feel better than I look," I say with a sheepish grin.

"That's what you get for spending the entire day drinking," he passes me a bottle of water and I've never loved him more.

The large mouthful of liquid makes me feel instantly better, "it wasn't all day. I went for a lovely morning hike and swim and then lost count of all the cocktails."

The official justification for spending yesterday on the other side of the island was exploration. In reality, I was avoiding another awkward run-in with a certain individual. The fact that I drank myself into a restless sleep was completely accidental.

"Are you excited about today?" I ask Liam in an attempt to change the subject.

"I've wanted to see an active volcano since I was a kid. I can't wait."

His excitement has me grinning, "I'll be sure to take a photo of you and the lava."

"SELFIE," Violet shouts as she crouches between us.

Holding a phone out in front of her, Liam and I don't have a chance to pose for the photo before she moves onto the group to my left. Sophie joins us in the next moment, microphone in hand.

"It's our song," Sophie states as Perfect by Ed Sheeran begins to play in the background.

"Get your ass up there," I say to Liam with a wicked smile.

Liam and singing do not go together. And I know it.

"No, I can't-" Liam says with wide-eyed alarm.

"Liam, pleaseeee," Sophie begs with a pout.

"Your future wife needs you," I state with concern.

"I do. I really do," Sophie agrees as she grabs the collar of his bright yellow Hawaiian t-shirt and forces him off his seat.

"Payback will be sweet," Liam warns me with narrowed eyes.

I give him a playful wink as he's dragged to the front of the bus. We cheer as the duet begins. Everyone's attention is on the big performance. All except Ethan, who glances sideways in my direction. I show no emotion as he studies me for a moment and then promptly looks away. I might be stuck with him, but I refuse to let him ruin the rest of my week.

*************************

"Welcome to the Volcano National Park," the park ranger, Kehlani, announces.

We have finally reached our destination after an hour-long drive. After a delicious brunch of açai bowls at a local cafe, we are all excited for some fresh air and lava.

"Today you will explore Mauna Loa, the world's largest volcano, and Kilauea, the world's most active volcano. You will learn about the seismic activity and culture built around it. You will see lava beds and steam vents," Kehlani pauses as Liam cheers.