CHAPTER SEVEN

I hold the door of the taxi open as Sophie gracefully exits. I turn my attention to the front of Giovanni's where I see Liam and Ethan deep in conversation. I silently pray that everything goes to plan as I link arms with Sophie and we cross the busy road to meet them.

On our approach, Liam's confusion is evident when he looks at me. As soon as his attention shifts to Sophie, his eyebrows shoot up. Sophie barely registers Ethan's existence when she sees Liam, her surprised expression mirroring his own. My attention is instinctively pulled toward Ethan and I too find myself surprised at how sexy he looks in his light blue button-down shirt and khaki pants. The intensity in his eyes as he watches me walk toward him causes a tremor down my spine. When we finally reach them, I take a deep breath and begin the introductions.

"Hi, guys. Ethan this is Sophie. Sophie this is Ethan." I say gesturing between the two of them.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Sophie smiles at Ethan sweetly as they shake hands in greeting. "Hey Liam," Sophie says as she hugs him.

My attention shifts from the soon-to-be lovebirds to Ethan whose stare travels down my body. I exhale a shaky breath when his eyes finally land on mine. His questioning look does little to extinguish the fire in his eyes.

I forcefully peel my attention away from him when Sophie says to Liam, "I thought you had a date tonight."

After a silence that has my heart beating out of my chest, he says, "yeah, apparently this is it." Turning his attention to me, he adds, "there has obviously been a mix-up in communication."

I meet his irritated glare with an innocent smile.

"More like a serious communication breakdown," Ethan states, also glaring at me.

I look at Sophie and panic when I see her questioning look.

"Let's make our way inside. I don't know about you guys but I'm starved." Without waiting for a response, I run for the entrance of the restaurant.

***************************

"Hello, my love," Mark says to me in greeting with a kiss on the cheek.

"Welcome everyone," Mark announces when Liam, Sophie, and Ethan enter behind me. "Let me show you to the best table in the house," Mark adds as he makes for the back of the restaurant where the cozy private tables are situated. Before I can follow, Liam grabs my arm and stops me, allowing Ethan and Sophie to walk ahead.

"What are you up to, Charlotte?" Liam asks, his words drowned out by the loudness of the busy restaurant.

"What do you mean?" I reply, feigning innocence.

If looks could kill, I would be six feet under right now. Knowing there is no way he will let this go, I have no choice but to give him an explanation. "I thought about how you said Ethan was a great guy and I realized he and Sophie would be perfect for each other. Sophie didn't want to go on this date alone so thought of making it a double date. It was too last minute for me to organize an actual date so I asked you to join us."

I deliver my rehearsed speech with a smile. Liam knows me better than anyone and I pray that he doesn't see through my lies. Not waiting for a response, I take off in a speed walk and catch up with the others.

"Why didn't you just tell me?" he replies, picking up his pace to walk beside me.

"Would you have come if I had told you?" I retort.

He takes in my scrutinizing look and doesn't answer. He also recognizes that I too know him better than anyone.

"Exactly! You would have made up an excuse and refused to come to avoid an awkward situation," I continue, encouraged by his silence.