CHAPTER SIX

"I look like an escort," Sophie exclaims as she scrutinizes her appearance in the mirror.

"The skirt isn't that short," I reply from my bed.

"Every time I move, you can see my ass," she declares as she bounces across my small room to demonstrate.

"If you move like that during dinner, your date is going to see more than your ass," I assert and laugh as I'm met with her glare. Getting up from my sprawled position on my bed, I head to my closet. "Here, try this on," I pass her a low-cut black dress with a modest hemline. "It'll look great on you."

"This dress will go perfectly with my wedge shoes. Thanks, Char." She kisses my cheek and runs from my room to her own, in our tiny two-bedroom apartment.

This is Sophie's sixth outfit change of the night. She is nervous about our big double-date tonight and hopes that the night goes perfectly. I hope for the exact opposite.

"I'm freaking out. This is my first date in almost a year. What if I've forgotten how to date?" Sophie yells from next door.

"You'll be fine. If you need any help, I'll be right there with you."

I lied. I will not be helping her in any way tonight. Liam, however, will be there to swoop in and be her knight in shining armor. Although he agreed to a casual Friday night dinner with me, he has no idea he is walking straight into a double date. I feel horrible for lying to them but I have to remind myself that it's for their own good. This will be the push they need.

I hear a muffled bang as Sophie empties the contents of her wardrobe to find her shoes.

"You're right. I'm stressing for no reason." After another thud, Sophie continues, "tell me everything you know about Ethan."

"I've already told you everything. We only spoke for a few minutes but he's smart." A smart ass, I think but don't say out loud. "He's successful," successfully pretentious. "And an absolute dream," nightmare would be a more fitting description. "He's perfect for you!" I add with too much enthusiasm.

"Besides, Liam likes him and told me that he's an amazing guy," I continue.

At least that last part is true. When I spoke to Liam about Ethan, excluding the part where he asked me on a date, he assured me that although he puts on a confident front; he's a nice guy who deserves a chance. I hope for his and Sophie's sake, he is seriously mistaken.

"I look forward to meeting him. Did he tell you who he was bringing along for you?" Sophie queries.

"No, he just said he'd bring a friend." Answering with another lie, I was glad she couldn't see my guilty expression from the other room.

"What's Liam up to tonight?"

I grin at Sophie's question, "he has a date."

"Oh, I didn't realize he was seeing anyone at the moment."

"It's a first date. He's really excited."

I smile to myself as she pauses. Although I can't see her, I know that she is trying to quash the need to ask a hundred questions. Her inner struggle gives me a moment to take in my appearance in the mirror. My simple black t-shirt, dark jean skirt, and black heeled sandals look too casual. I run a comb through my long brown locks to tame the waves but it doesn't help; my hair always does its own thing. My maroon eye shadow brings out the gold in my light brown eyes while my dark pink lipstick highlights the fullness of my lips. It doesn't matter how I look though, it's not like I'm trying to impress anyone. I'm mad at myself when I reach for my blush.

"That's great. Good for him." Sophie finally says.

I turn to see Sophie in my doorway, her smile not reaching her eyes. The dress fits her petite frame like a glove, giving her the illusion of curves. The red wedges add some height to her tiny stature. Her light blonde hair sits perfectly straightened above her shoulders while her smokey eye shadow makes the green in her hazel eyes pop.

"You look stunning. Ethan isn't going to know what hit him," I say to her with an approving nod.

Literally; as he has no idea what's in store for him tonight.

Thank you for reading The Ex: Chapter six!As always, please comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed :)

As always, please comment your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed :)