CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

With my Mai Tai in hand, I have just one thought as I sit on the beach and watch the sunset.

I never really let Ethan go. My careful consideration of how I'm going to do this is interrupted by the ding of my phone.

I hope you're having an amazing time in Hawaii. I'm missing you, Charlotte.

The message from Paul is unexpected and catches me off guard. I want to miss him. I should miss him. But the truth is, he hasn't crossed my mind since I arrived. Feeling like a horrible person, I hold my cocktail in the air and snap a photo of it against the background of the orange and pink sky. I type out a message and then re-type it three times. Not being able to lie but also not allowing myself to speak the truth, I decide on something simple.

Wish you were here :)

I send the photo and message and down the rest of my drink. Taking a deep breath, I work up the courage to get up. Dusting the sand from my thin-strapped black maxi dress, I start the short walk towards the beachside venue. I'm going to be late for the rehearsal dinner.

*************************

"I want to thank you all for being here with us and for helping us celebrate over the last few days. Tomorrow is officially the day."

Liam announces as we all cheer.

"We hope that you enjoy the feast and we ask that you help us dance the rest of the night away," he adds with the raise of his glass.

Holding up our drinks, we all toast to that as the live band begin their upbeat song. Sophie and Liam share a kiss while the Polynesian dancers take the stage. Their hula skirts move hypnotically to the beat of the music. Several people join but I stay seated, enjoying the traditional island banquet of roast pig, fresh seafood, and pineapple glazed chicken. By the time the tropical fruit comes out, I can barely move.

"This next song is dedicated to the soon-to-be husband and wife," the singer says as a slow melodic beat begins.

"Tomas, let's dance," Katerina says to her nephew.

The teenage boy smiles and takes his aunts' outstretched hand. I watch as they make their way to the dancefloor which is now full of swaying bodies. I beam at the three young children who dance in a circle by the stage. I don't notice Ethan's presence until he places a glass of wine in front of me.

I turn to him and provide a small smile, "thanks."

"You're welcome. Can I take a seat?" he asks tentatively.

"Sure," I motion to the empty place on my left.

His closeness has my body on high alert. I ignore how attractive he looks in his cream linen jacket and dark navy chinos. But damn. I can't deny how good he smells. Expensive and clean. I take a large sip, immediately recognizing my favorite brand of merlot. For some reason, that just makes the situation even more torturous.

"Are you having a good night?" I ask to rid my mind of the thoughts taking up my consciousness.

"It's been great. You?"

"The shows have been amazing. And did you try the roast pork?" I turn my attention to him and notice the amusement in his eyes.

"I did. It was delicious," his boyish smile has him looking handsome.

I nod in response, afraid that my words might betray my highly inappropriate thoughts. Turning away from him, Janine and David catch my eye on the dancefloor. Janine points to me, to Ethan, and then to the space next to her. David laughs at her theatrical demonstration.