CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

NOW

"Aloha Ms. Anderson."

I'm greeted by a young man with a warm smile as I step off the small seaplane. After almost fourteen hours of travel, I'm tempted to kiss the ground below me. Somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, I'd started fantasizing about the moment I would get off the plane to stretch my cramped legs, breath in non-recycled air, and listen to something other than the cries from the toddler seated beside me.

My fantasy of being on solid ground was very, very real. And yet my fantasy did not include the tense exchange with the airline after they'd lost my suitcase. Or missing my connecting flight once they had finally located it on the carousel with a flight arriving from San Diego. My fantasy also hadn't incorporated the severe summer humidity. My perfect waves are now a frizzy cloud that grows larger with each passing moment. But things could only get better from here because I have finally made it.

It is this thought that has me grinning widely, "aloha."

The young man places a lei around my neck, "my name is Kai and I welcome you to Kauai!"

"Thank you so m-" My words are lost on my tongue when my gaze fixes on the beauty before me. The clear, deep blue ocean surrounding the dock reflects the equally clear blue skies above it. The shining sun casts a warm glow on the palm trees that line the golden sandy drive leading to the resort.

My unabashed awe is interrupted by Kai, "let me help you with that Ms. Anderson."

The thought of letting my suitcase out of my sight and losing it for the second time today has me clutching it tightly when Kai reaches to retrieve it, "thank-you but I can take it."

"I insist," Kai states as we both grip the suitcase in an awkward tug of war.

With a sigh, I finally oblige and let go, "thanks, and please call me Charlotte."

"Follow me, Charlotte," he says as he begins walking along the dock. Turning slightly as we reach the sandy shore he motions to his left, "this island has several mountain ranges which are perfect for hikes. The many waterfalls are sights meant to be seen."

The pride in his eyes has me beaming. Looking to the various peaks and cliffs shrouded in greenery in the distance, I'm in awe of the picture-perfect vision.

"If you wish to relax we have several pools, a spa on-site, and of course, the beautiful ocean. If you need anything at all during your stay, all you have to do is ask."

"Thank you, Kai. Your home is stunning."

"For the next week, it will be your home," he returns as we reach the entrance of a modern white building that makes the greenery surrounding it more vibrant and prominent. "Mr. Adams and Ms. Novak have many fun things planned for the wedding festivities."

"I don't doubt it." I know that Sophie and Liam's plans involve plenty of entertainment, food, and even more alcohol. To say that I was excited to celebrate my best friends would be an understatement.

Entering the grand foyer, the salty ocean scent complements the carefree beachy interior. Laughter erupts from the group lounging on the wicker furniture in the far corner of the room. People move about unrushed and sun drunk after a day on the island. It is now late afternoon and given I was meant to arrive before lunch; I am very delayed.

"Has everyone already arrived?" I ask Kai as I think of all the ways I am going to make it up to Liam and Sophie for missing our planned luncheon.

"Not yet but the two of you are the last arrivals for today," he motions to the tall man standing by the large white counter in the back of the room.