CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Paul!" I exclaim.

My higher-than-normal pitch reveals my shock. He looks sharp in his white buttoned shirt and beige suit. Although his hair is shorter, his kind eyes are the same. I glance back to Ethan whose low brows are pulled tight over menacing eyes. He looks angry, or maybe he just suffers from the male equivalent of resting bitch face. Whatever it is, it causes the hair on my neck to stand tall.

Paul extends a hand toward me. "May I?" he asks again.

He looks at me expectantly. I turn to Ethan and find that he shares the same look.

Feeling suffocated by the weight of expectation, the need to get out of this awkward situation has me answering hurriedly, "of course."

Ethan releases me from his embrace and anger flashes in his eyes as his attention shifts to Paul. I think it's safe to say that he is not thrilled at the idea of us sharing a dance. I bite the inside of my cheek, not exactly thrilled by this possessiveness either. Without a word, he walks away. My eyes are glued to his retreating form as he moves stiffly to the bar. Paul looks between me and Ethan with an inquisitive expression.

I attempt a carefree smile and reach for Paul, "shall we?" Placing my hand on his shoulder, he pulls me close and we begin to move in time with the music. "I had no idea you were coming."

"Surprise!" he laughs happily. "When I received your message, I called Liam and asked if I could still attend the wedding."

"Liam didn't mention a thing to me," I glance at him on the dancefloor and he gives me a thumbs up. Sophie gives us a wink and I covertly flick my middle finger in their direction.

"I know you hate surprises but I asked Liam not to say anything."

"It's a good surprise," I say reassuringly.

My eyes are trained on his but my head is still processing Ethan's last words.

"Charlotte, I've missed you so much. I wanted to tell you that."

"Paul-." I pause as he looks at me hopefully. I know what he wants me to say. I know what I should say. Panic washes over me when the words escape me. "I have to go and check on the food," I blurt out.

He raises his brows but nods in acknowledgment, "oh, ok."

"I'll talk to you later," I let him go and step away. The smile I give him over my shoulder on my way out of the venue is forced. Rounding the corner, I break into a jog as I move up the stone path towards the kitchen. My strappy white heels don't slow me down in the slightest. My anxiety is immediately eased when I enter the bustling kitchen.

The kitchen staff tends to several plates of creamy mushroom tortellini that are lined up on the counter. I smile at the delicious sight, "how is everything going?"

Elio turns in my direction, "What are you doing here? We are fine." He places the large pan of grilled prawns with chili-lime sauce he is holding onto the stovetop and wipes his hands on his apron. He meets me by the door and physically pushes me outside, "get out of here and enjoy the wedding."

"Fine," I respond with the playful roll of my eyes. "But-"

"I promise to let you know if we have any issues."

"Thank you so much, Elio."

"You're very welcome. Now go and have some fun,' he says as he retreats to the kitchen.

Turning in the direction of the music, my smile drops when I see Ethan seated on the wooden bench that lines the path.

He motions to the empty place next to him, "we need to talk."