6. Back In The Earth Dimension.

A heart monitor steadily beeps as you come back to your body. You slowly slip open your eyelids, the bright fluorescent lights hurting your eyes. You lift a hand up to cover your eyes, alerting whoever it was in the room to turn around and look at you. It's a doctor, who comes to stand immediately by your bedside. You take your hand down after a little bit, blinking to look at the doctor in clear focus.

"Mr/Mrs. (L/N), can you hear me?" she asks, grabbing a little torch out and shining it in your eyes. "Yeah, I can," you reply gruffly, blinking once she's taken the torch away.

"Hold on, I'm going to get a nurse to come in and check your vitals right now," she says, walking out of the room as he finishes the sentence. You watch her go, then yawn. You notice a cannula stuck in a vein on your right hand, and you make a face. You hate cannulas, normally. Plus most needles.

A nurse comes in with a vital sign monitor on a trolly, immediately pulling out a thermometer and the strap. He places the thermometer under your right arm and places the strap on your left, pressing a couple of buttons on the machine to check your blood pressure. The strap tightens, then releases, and is done. The nurse writes notes down, then takes the thermometer out when it beeps. He checks your IV machine, then pulls out a little torch and shines it your eyes, telling you to follow his finger. "All good," he says with a smile. You smile back, and ask quickly, "Where's my family/friend?"

The nurse looks back and thinks for a moment. "They're out at lunch, I'm pretty sure. Do you want me to call someone?"

You nod and tell him your mother's/father's/guardian's/sister's/brother's/friend's number, and he nods and leaves the room. You quickly call him back and ask how long you've been in the coma for. He tells you that you've been a comatose patient for about eighteen days. You nod and he leaves the room.

You look around behind you and find the bed control, pushing the button to raise the back of the bed up. You sit up and yawn, running a hand through your dirty hair.

Two weeks, you think. Two weeks I spent here. What did I even do to get myself into a coma?

Your thoughts are put to rest when your family/friend enter(s) the room. Their eyes rest on you, then they come and embrace you in a massive hug. You both laugh and cry, and there are muffled words of "I missed you!" and "I'm so glad you're back!" as you talk into their shoulder, and vice versa.

That night, at about eleven pm, you're trying to get to sleep. It's the second last night you'll be spending here, as long as all your systems are in proper working order. News had quickly spread that you were awake and, well, and many people sent you messages on your social networks. Your family/friend had stayed till the latest possible time, then were forced to go out so you could get sleep. You smile to yourself and close your eyes, tiredness hitting you like a wave. Sleep comes to you immediately.

-- Three days later --

You're resting at home, laying on your lounge and talking animatedly to your friend. You both laugh and joke about things, and he's constantly asking if you're okay, if you need anything. Sure, you had just come out of a coma, but it's not like you couldn't get things yourself. You both are sitting in a comfortable silence, before your phone starts buzzing. You fish it out of your pocket and look at the caller ID: Mark. Shit! During all the messages and visitors you had completely forgot to let him know that you were awake, or basically anyone else besides those who had seen you in real life. You apologise to your friend and stand up, moving to your bedroom for some privacy. You press answer and hold the phone up to your ear, taking a deep breath.

"Mark! Look, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for not contacting you! I was so busy, and people were coming to see me left right and centre, and it was all too hectic," you say in a rush when you pick up, as to avoid his questioning.