13. The Last Stand.

I walk around L.A., my hands shoved deep in my pockets. I keep to the shadows, in fear that people will see me.. well, being me.

I had to get away from the cluttered apartment. It was too warm; there were too many people in there. The apartment wasn't the greatest place to hang out if you wanted to be alone with your thoughts. I did admit it a long time ago: I was fine with keeping to the shadows. Now, being found out as Wilford's helper, I could feel everyone's disappointed gaze on me, all the time.

It was as if they didn't trust me. Light had already checked if I was clean, and I was. No connection to Wilford at all. I honestly don't understand why I am seen as a traitor. Every one of Mark's egos are hungry for some action, even the ones that are indiscreet. I just so happened to be in the right place at the right time.

But now, walking around at quarter past three in the morning, I don't know what to decide. I know Wilford's just using me for his own good, I'm not a thick idiot. I also know that he had plans to get someone else on his side, but no matter how much I think about it, I can't seem to figure out who he wants. He's a difficult man, one who everyone has to be wary around.

I find myself at a park, in darkness. Streetlights are off in the distance, glittering when the leaves of trees move in front of them. I find a seat and sit down, looking into the shadows. Who's better, Mark or Wilford?

I start to think. Mark would be the light side, and Wilford the dark. It almost seems like that, but in a strange way. This wasn't like the Hollywood movies. I know Wilford would love to rip Mark's heart out with his bare hands. But he would use (y/n) as his hands.. and now he's lost all control over her/him. I want to believe, now that he's lost control, Wilford can't win.

But he's Wilford Warfstache. He'll find his way around anything to get what he wants.

The bench creaks as someone sits next to me. I feel my heart beat as I look over, and see.. Googleplier.

"Google?" I say, surprised. He looks at me, red eyes faintly glowing. The G on his blue shirt is pulsating softly, which casts an eerie glow on his face.

"Wilford wants you back, Glitch," Google says in a low voice, smiling. I lean away slightly, trying to decide what to say.

The words tumble out of my mouth before I know what's happening. "I'm not going to join Wilford's forces again. Tell him to shove his ego up his-"

"He thought you might say that," Google interjects calmly. I'm about to reply, when I feel something sharp and cool pressed into the left side of my chest. I look down and see a knife, then the pain registers. My mouth hangs open in shock as I grip the handle with feeble hands.

I'm about to fall off the bench before Google lifts me up, bridal style, in his arms. I look skywards, my vision failing me. The last thing I think is how ironically beautiful the stars are in the night sky.

-

I flutter down into a forest clearing, my hands in loose fists. Wilford is standing there, looking at me with a victorious look. I frown and study him, not noticing any strange vibes coming off him.

"Why am I here?" I ask with a deadly calm, folding my wings behind my back. Wilford twiddles his moustache and shrugs.

"I've won, Light. That's all I want to tell you."

I frown and keep my breathing even, now clenching my hands into fists. The fact that I can't sense anything from him is infuriating.

"It's making you angry, isn't it? The fact that know-it-all-Light can't sense a single thing. That's why I've won. Without their angel, Mark and the rest of his friends are helpless."