14. The Last Goodbye.

I watched as (y/n) crumpled to her/his knees. Unspeakable horror caused my eyes to open wide and my mouth to drop open. My mind couldn't wrap around the fact that.. that the person I loved had just sacrificed herself/himself for me. It wasn't right.

My gaze switched to Wiflord. His face was a mask of shock and horror. With grim determination I latched onto his arm and and mustered my strength to punch him right in the face. Wilford sprawled backwards, oofing as he hit the ground.

Anger unfurled inside of me, feeding me strength. I knew it was his time to die. He deserved it. Now I could see he understood what he did, the crimes he committed. He made me angry and took one who I loved away from me.

I was going to kill the piece of shit with all the power that resided in me.

I stood to my feet, gritting my teeth at the pain that shot through my head and legs. Wilford stood up clumsily, but he didn't run away. Instead he locked my eyes with a steely gaze, a twisted smirk on his lips. I kept stumbling towards him.

After a moment the smirk faded from Wilford's lips. He held up his hand, as if commanding me to stop. I didn't. I was almost a metre away from him, now. Wilford's gaze then turned fearful as he held up both hands. I glanced at his right hand, the one he always had his ring on. The ring wasn't there.

I stopped a metre away. I looked at his right hand, then up at him. "Your ring, it's gone," I stated blandly. I willed my powers to let my body heal, and I did in one second. Wilford gulped and let his hands drop down.

"Mark, I can explain-"

"You will not try to squirm out of this one," I shot back, flaring my nostrils. I raised my hands towards him, closing my eyes.

A bloodcurdling scream hit my ears, stabbing at them. I cringed and expelled all my energy out, letting out a yell of my own. Bright light seared my eyelids. I slipped open my eyes when the screaming stopped. The whiteness of the light caused my eyes to become temporarily unfocused, and I blinked a couple of times to get my focus back to normal. I looked down at the ground in front of me. Nothing but two burnt footprint marks in the ground in front of me marked that Wilford was ever there in the first place.

(Y/n)! my mind instinctively called out. I shook my head. I couldn't look at her/him. Not now. Instead, I turned to walk over to Dark's body.

-

I felt footsteps coming towards me. My mind feebly thought, Oh God, this is it. I'm going to die.

I heard Mark's voice. "Dark, Dark, c'mon and wake up. It's okay; he's dead."

This piqued my interest. I struggled my head up, looking at Mark through swollen and bruised eyes. Mark's face fell when he saw the extent of Wilford's injuries. Mark placed his hand on my shoulder and I instantly started to feel better. When I could move my head without my neck screaming in pain, I looked over at (y/n)'s barely breathing body.

"Mark.." I said softly. "I don't need you. Go to (y/n). Comfort her/him."

I looked back up at Mark, who's shoulders shook. "I can't, Dark."

"Yes you can," I whispered, just as I heard (y/n)'s feeble voice call out for Mark.

-

You looked up at the pink sky. It was the sun setting. When you had called out for Mark, your voice hurt your throat. It hurt to talk, move, even breathe. Every breath was a consistent rattle in and out of your lungs.

You saw Mark's face intervene your vision. He crouched beside you, propping a hand gently under your back and lifting you up to rest in his arms. It hurt like hell to be moved, and you winced at the pain.

"Pull the blade out," you said weakly. Mark's eyes widened with alarm. "Pull the knife out, please," you said again, your voice stronger this time.

Mark gingerly grabbed the handle and prepared himself. He then yanked. No blade was connected to the hilt.

"It dissolved. It's poison," you heard Dark's voice, off to the side of your vision. "It's why it probably hurts like hell. It's slow and painful. That's why Wilford used the type of blade, because he wanted you, Mark, to die slowly and painfully."

You smiled gingerly. "It's okay, I can deal with the pain. As long as I have you two by my side."

Mark's lips twisted as his head bowed. "I can't lose someone else," he said, his voice breaking. "Wilford already took someone else. You can't go, (y/n). Why does everything bad happen to me?!"

"Shh," you whispered, no tears falling from your eyes. You felt that Mark was sharing both of your tears, now. You didn't have the energy to cry, at least not anymore.

"Don't cry. Everyone dies, Mark. I'm no exception," you continued weakly. You felt energy sapping away from you body. You struggled to keep your eyes open.

"But you've died too soon. Think of the life we could have had. You and I. Babies, a house-"

"Think about the life we have had," you interjected calmly. "Don't be so pessimistic, Mark. You have your fans and your friends to fall back on. Find someone else who will love you for who you are. Create a new life with them. For me, Mark."

"But I can't. Every day I'll spend thinking about you."

You smiled feebly. "Love them like you loved me. Make them feel special and liked. You were the greatest boyfriend anyone could ever ask for."

Mark looked at you with sad eyes, not saying anything. He knew you were almost dead, and you could feel it, too.

"Oh, before I go," you whispered out, struggling to stay alive. "There are gifts for you. In my cupboard. I was going to give them to you, but I ran out of time. That's my 'good luck' gift. I love you, Mark. Take care of everyone for me."

You let your eyes slip close.

When you open them, you're in Mark's arms again. But everything is a strange, pale colour. You then see Glitch standing to your left. You get up, and find that you're floating gently. You look back at Mark and you smile, then you take Glitch's hand.

"Light's waiting for us," Glitch says gently. You nod and start walking with him to meet Light, leaving behind your life and your soulmate.

-

Mark finally left (y/n)'s greying body on the grass. He stood and dusted himself off, drying his eyes. He looked at the body on the cold ground, just an empty shell of the person he loved.

He turned away from the body, in silence.

He felt a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, it's okay," he heard Dark's voice say softly. Mark shook his head and didn't reply. He just remained silent.

After a while of silence, he turned to face Dark. "Alright, let's go."

He looked up at Dark's face, and his eyes widened.

Dark's once black eyes were pink. He smiled and placed a finger to his mouth, a smirk growing on his lips.

THE END.