5. Dealing With Darkiplier.

Your eyes slowly open. You yawn and smile, stretching and feeling completely at ease, burrowed down in your swatch of fluffy blankets and soft sheets. You look at the ceiling for a moment, your thoughts still fuzzy and groggy. Then you remember the dream. Sudden anger courses through your veins as you slip out of bed, flattening your bed hair, remembering the vendetta you made to yourself last night. You open the door and stalk out, looking around for Dark. Luckily, he is in the living room, playing a game on the PS4.

You walk over, your hands in fists. You don't hesitate in walking in front of the screen and grabbing the console, ripping it out and pegging it against the wall. You turn to Dark, infuriated. His eyes are wide as he tries to process what the hell just happened.

Before he says anything, you spit out, "You have had me in this dump for well over a month now, while on Earth I'm in a fucking coma, and I'm making everyone a fucking insomniac, with Mark crying, actually crying over my state in hospital! How could you do this?! To my family, to Mark?!"

Dark looks up at you, shell shocked, and even a little scared. He opens his mouth to talk, but you cut him off.

"You are unbelievable. And to even think I managed to enjoy this place or your company. Up there, people are suffering, just for your entertainment and to feed your fun quota. You have no right to keep me in this place. You can make or break my family's lives. If you keep me in here for much longer, who knows what they'll do up there!  You have no right to keep me here and let those doctors decide on my life when I have no say in it. You have no right to be able to break everyone's hearts. Even for a motherfucking demon, this is a new low. You live in the fucking depths of Hell! How could you, even you, get any more lower than that?!"

Dark takes some time to register and comprehend what you've just spewed out at him. His thin eyebrows draw together in confusion, and in thought, the waves of anger coming from him making him carefully choose his words.

"I... I never intended to hurt your family."

You look skyward and rub your hands over your face. "Oh.. my god," you say, taking your hands away and laughing in disbelief. "You actually are that stupid to believe that, for two weeks, if my parents or siblings don't hear from me, they will think everything is fine? This is real life, where people actually give a shit about other's safety and well-being. This isn't some stupid Hollywood movie! Even a demon as powerful or smart as you should know that other people would care about my being a comatose patient."

Dark stands, mouth in a thin line. "Fine. I understand. But you have to understand what's going on here, (y/n). When I possessed Mark's body and you blacked out, I took your soul. Well, technically, I exited Mark's body and let it sleep. I then picked up your soul from your body and brought it down here, with me, thus leaving your body where it was. Your body then slipped into a coma, having no essence to occupy it, essentially an empty husk, and when Mark found it he immediately took it to the hospital.

"When you leave, everything that has happened here, everything that is in your memory of this place, will be forgotten."

You pause, anger still boiling inside of you. "I'll forget about this place? What?"

Dark nods. "Yes."

You look at him with disbelief. "But... how?"

"Your very essence, your soul, will pass through a sort of... divider between Earth and this dimension. That's what I call the Void. It is literally nothing that exists in the parallel space between the two dimensions. When your soul passes through it... well, it's difficult to explain. It's such an expanse of nothingness that it is impossible for human souls to pass through untouched. I am able to protect myself from it feeding on my memories, but you.. I cannot protect you, not this time around."

"But doesn't that mean that my memories from Earth should be forgotten, then? If what you're saying is true..."

"It is true, and it is strange. The Void does not feed on memories from the dimension in which you first existed. Only if you arrive in another dimension and return back to your original."

"But, I still don't understand. Why do have to forget? Why do I have-"

"(Y/n). You have to understand. Your pure soul, your essence, has been here for quite some time, with no protection. Travelling between dimensions for a human soul is bad enough, but for you to stay in this place for this long... your soul has taken quite a beating. The Void almost acts in a good way. It puts up a barrier, a wall, a shield in your mind to protect you from the memories you've gained here. Imagine if you tried shoving a soul that was beaten and damaged into a human, filled with memories of an inexplainable place to the human world. The human's mind would go insane and lose sanity fast, and even result in death. The more time your spend here, in an unfamiliar dimension, the more your soul gets damaged. That dream was your soul warning you to the dangers. You're almost at your point of no return. Do you understand?"

Dark steps closer to you, gazing at you, waiting for your reaction.

"I..." you start, but you can't continue. This is all happening so fast. If Dark could just slow down a little bit, explain this a little more thoroughly just so you could understand-

"We have no time, (y/n). Each second you spend here your soul is wasting away. I can't explain any more than I have. It's good that you had this dream, and even better that you told me about it. Otherwise I could have truly destroyed you."

Dark steps over to you, looking down to you with regret in his eyes.

You stutter, "This.. Dark, this is all going too fast for me. I can't- I don't understand what's going on. Can't you just..."

Dark looks at you with eyes mixed with sympathy and regret as you trail off. He says nothing as he pulls you into a hug, squeezing you like he will never let go. You shut your eyes tight as you hug him back and swallow, the whirlwind of thoughts in your mind moving non-stop.

"Why does it have to be so sudden? And why do I have to forget you?" you ask, pulling out of the hug.

Dark smiles and laughs. "What, don't act like you wouldn't want to forget me."

"Dark, I mean it. You've been decent lately. Tolerable. A- and sure, the beginning was a bitch, but you turned out not to be. A bitch. You turned out not to be a bitch. Plus, the memories are too precious to forget. I don't... I don't want to forget you."

Dark smiles as he takes your hands and holds them gently. "(Y/n). Be happy. I know how much you've resented being here, so now you can go back. Back home, and see your friends, family... Mark again. Just be happy. I promise that you'll be happier up on Earth than you were here."

You shake your head. "No, I can't just leave and forget you. I've enjoyed spending time here, Dark, I really have. You've allowed freedom to me. Imagine if you didn't even let me roam around. Then I would have hate you for all eternity."

Dark's smile doesn't reach his eyes. You both stand in silence for a couple of seconds before you state sadly, "So, I won't remember you when I see you next. I'll probably freak out, right?"

He nods with a little chuckle. "Yeah. Mark knows about all that soul and dimension stuff, so he won't tell you what happened to you, when you wake up. But, I just wanted to say... thank you for giving me company. It's lonely, being a demon. That's... that's sort of why I took you."

You smile up at him and intertwine your hands with his. "Dark, you're absolutely welcome. Thank you for not being a jerk. It's been nice to get to know you. Plus, those were some killer tacos you made last night."

Dark smiles and laughs slightly. You smile, too, and then feel something against your cheek. You reach up and wipe it off, drawing your hand back to look at it. It's a tear. You look up from your hand to meet Dark's eyes.

"See you again soon, I hope," you say, clearing your throat. Dark says nothing, face devoid of emotion, and reaches his hands up, cupping your face, holding you gently as you fall to your knees, black encompassing your vision.