3. Negotations.

You wake up, in a comfortable bed, surrounded by soft blankets and plump pillows. You yawn and cover your face with your hands, rubbing the sleep out of your eyes groggily. When you take your hands away, you see sunlight slipping in through the windows, onto the carpeted floor, through sheer curtains. The walls seem to breathe a sigh of relief, as if they were waiting for you to wake.

Smiling, you slip out from underneath the soft blankets, shivering when the cold air raises goosebumps on your skin.

Someone's arms wrap around your waist, and a deep, rough voice murmurs, "Come back to bed..."

"But baby," you whisper back, turning around to face a just-woken-up Mark."You know I need to get ready for work."

Mark's lips make a pout as he looks up at you with those damn adorable eyes. His brown hair is appealingly fluffy and wild, making your fingers itch to reach out and run themselves through it. With a roll of your eyes, you crawl back into bed and let Mark nuzzle his face into your neck. Your arms wrap around his broad frame as you can feel his stubble tickling the hollow of your collarbone, making you smile and your eyes close.

But something feels off about it, too. You feel a warning screaming to you in the back of your mind, but you can't put a finger on what it's trying to say. This is perfect for you, so why would anything be off? Never mind that it's been the same dream you've been shaping in your own mind for a while now...

You sigh regretfully, groaning.

"What is it?" Mark asks, voice muffled.

"Today's the day I have to sign the divorce papers," you groan, threading your hands through his hair.

Mark moves his head so it rests against your chest, his eyes taking on a serious tone, despite the twinkle they hold. "That's only one thing, (y/n)."

Your fingers pause in their threading. "Yeah, I know..."

"If you want, I can come with?"

With a shake of your head, you decline his offer. Against his mutters and protests, you get out of bed and stand, stretching your arms up. The rustle of linen sounds behind you, and you sigh gently as Mark's arms wrap around you shoulders from behind.

You lean into him as he gives you a peck on the cheek. "Hey, it's okay,' he says softly, leaning his head against yours. "You can deal with your ex in a second, and it'll be out the door just like that. You'll be alright," he says, moving his head to this time peck your neck.

"You really think so?" you ask, smiling, looking out the window to your bright lawn. "Yeah, I know so."

With a giggle you turn and envelope him in a warm embrace, the both of you going still as you let the embrace settle into a comfortable silence.

When you open your eyes, you are met with an image of a dark figure that is standing behind Mark. You pull away from Mark, the moment of silence shattered like glass. "Uh... Mark? What is that?"

"You know, (y/n)," Mark replies. His voice sounds strange, and when you look up at his face you jump back, terrified. His eyes are sunken black pits. Your heart thumps loudly, everything suddenly feeling real, very real, around you.

This isn't a dream.

"Mark? What the-"

"You know my name's not Mark, (y/n)," he says in that strange tone again. He grabs a lamp off the bedside table, lifting it high and fast. He raises it as you scream. He brings it down in a fast, sweeping arc.