chapter 37

dakota's p.o.v

i jump out of my skin as the sound of a locker being slammed open startles me. i look to my right, seeing molly scrimmaging through her locker. i squint my eyes, hoping lucy is almost done at her locker. i go back to minding my own business, throwing books into my backpack.

"where's lucy?" i hear beside me and i furrow my eyebrows. i look over at her and our eyes meet. i take
my eyes off of her, ignoring her.

"right here. now carry on." i'm shocked as i see lucy come to the right of me, talking to molly. she turns around and faces me, blocking my view of my ex girlfriend. "ready for class baby?"

"of course." i say and shut my locker. we intertwine our hands, beating molly to first class. i mean obviously because we were not going to walk with her.

lucy and i take a seat in first class, and i realize our projects are due today. molly and i finished, but i think we have to present today. oh no.

molly walks in, eyeing me before plopping down in her seat in front of me. she digs through her bag to pull out out written papers from our project. i hear rustling of papers as she turns around and give them to me. well..practically throws them at me as they land on my desk. i scoff, putting them in order and glancing at lucy. she's going through her papers carefully.

class begins and our teacher announces that we will be presenting today. this class is a history class so we were chose to write about kings and queens in history. this shit seems like freshman year stuff but it was more difficult than you would of thought.

we watch as a pair presents first, their project being very well put together and explained perfectly. i've always gotten anxiety during presentations, so i am not excited for this.

lucy and sam present second. i pay close attention to their project and see it's also impeccable. i admire my girlfriend standing up in the front of the class, her confident self presenting amazingly. when they are done, the class does some clapping like how it goes every time someone is done presenting.

"dakota and molly are next." our teacher says out loud and i give him a small smile. i stand up, following molly to the front of the class. we take a look at our papers, and i try to memorize what im going to say so i don't have to read right off the paper. that's what he wanted us to do.

"european monarchies have existed for centuries, and over the years, monarchs' rule has resulted in history changes as well as shocking stories that are told as history continues." i start off, seeing a satisfying look on our teachers face. i take a deep breath, waiting for molly to say her part that we talked about when we worked on the project, but it never came. i look over at her and see her staring at the floor. "u-um.." i glance at my paper, deciding to take the lead and say her part. "sometimes women would marry a king to become wealthy and that's it, so their lives were positioned all around money and their huge castles."

"yeah, it's like they never even loved each other because most of the time they would just go and move on to another king that had more money. i'm other cases, better." molly says immediately after me, making me furrow my eyebrows slightly. i glance at her, not even seeing her looking at her paper. i look at my paper and see that was never written down. "no queen had only one husband. it had to be more than one, right? they just moved on to someone with more money." she speaks, and i see the teacher closely paying attention. oh, this is how she's going to play. alright, game on.

"but sometimes they really did love their husbands because kings are very respectful and they treated their queens wonderfully. sometimes it doesn't work out, so they moved on." i fired back, seeing her swallow hard as she stares at me.

"people make mistakes. what if a queen wanted a king back after she left him once? would that be so bad?" she asks me, almost scrunching her papers in her hand. i've never seen her talk to angrily. i let out a breath from my nose and look at the class.

"when the king had moved on, yes. no one has just one king or queen. sorry to disappoint." i say which leaves her speechless for a moment. we keep our eyes on each other.

"well i wanted just one queen!" she snarls and throws her papers at me. she storms out of the classroom, slamming the door. i look at the class, my face flushed in embarrassment. the silence killing me.

"i don't know what that was about, but good job dakota." she teacher gives me a helpful smile. i straighten out the papers and hand them to him, taking my seat. all eyes are on me, including lucy's.

i don't look at her as the rest of the presentations happen. i hope she's not mad. i don't care that molly isnt my fiend and i'm sure as hell she's not my girlfriend anymore. i love lucy so much. i don't know what that was about. me defending myself? molly just got crazy.

when class ended, i tried to walk out quick and avoid lucy..but she caught my arm anyway. i sigh, turning to her. i expected her to have a blank face on, or maybe an angry one on. but she looks like she's holding in a laugh. "i know you think i'm going to be mad." she says, putting a hand up to cup my cheek. "but that wad actually the funnest thing ever." she says letting out a loud chuckle.

i relax, knowing that i didn't make her mad by doing what i just did with molly. i quickly wrap my arms around her neck, pulling her towards me and digging my head in her neck. she hugs me back, rubbing my back in a comforting way. "that was so ridiculous." i sigh, hearing her giggle.

"she's just a little crazy." she pokes my nose as she pulls away. "you're my queen now, no one else's." she says which makes my cheeks turn pink. very pink. i smile, embarrassed by how flushed i am.

"i love you." i say to her, watching as her face totally lights up.

"i love you too." she puffs out her bottom lip and kisses my cheek quickly. "i'll walk you to second."

[end of the day]

"want to meet hunter?"

"yes!" i almost scream in the middle of the hallway and kenzie laughs, nodding.

"awesome, let's go." she grabs my hand but i stop her.

"wait, let me say goodbye to lucy quick." i shoot her a smile. "i'll meet you at the car."

"okay." she smiles and walks away, down the hall. i turn around, about to make my way to lucy's locker when my body smashes into someone beside me. i open my eyes after then being shut in fear as the person grabs my hand to keep me from falling. of course.

"watch where you're going." molly gives me a smirk as she lets go of my hand and turns towards her locker.

"sorry." i mumble and walk around her, trying desperately to go see lucy before heading off with kenzie.

"dakota?" i hear and i stop in my tracks, turning around. she's looking at me, with one hand on her locker. "i'm sorry about our presentation." she apologizes. i shrug, backing away.

"why? we passed." i give her the smirk this time as i walk around after seeing her furrow her eyebrows in confusion. i go towards lucy's locker and see her standing there, putting away some books. "love?"

"hi!" she smiles widely as she sees me. she pulls me into a kiss, wrapping her arms around my waist. "want to come over?"

"oh i'm sorry, i'm going to meet hunter with kenzie right now." i pout, seeing her just nod.

"that's fine. text me later, okay?" she asks. i kiss her cheek, wrapping my arms around her neck for a second.

"of course. bye baby." i give a small wave before walking away, heading towards kenzie's car. time for me to meet the boy who will die if he ever breaks my best friends heart.

hope you all enjoyed! i plan on ending this book soonish and then i'm going to start a new one! i'm thinking of some ideas haha comment and vote please❣️