chapter 13

dakota's p.o.v

the next morning could not have came any slower. first i couldn't fall asleep, then i ended up waking up 9 o'clock because i'm too excited. i know yes, it's cringe that i'm excited to just hang out with someone. from my own school. don't judge me.

it's 11 right now. these past two hours have been torture. lucy sent me her address this morning. you may be asking yourself, oh, she has a car? yes i do but kenzie is like a sister to me, that's why she always drives me around. her mom also pays for her gas, i have to pay for mine so we figure why not just take her car.

"are you excited for your date?" my mom asks me at the kitchen table. i'm all showered, ready to go to lucy's.

"it's not a date." i say shaking my head. "she has a boyfriend, she just wanted to hang out with me."  i explain to my mom. she only raises an eyebrow at me with a smirk and turns to the sink.

"alright sweetie." she teases. i only sigh, leaning back in my chair.

45 minutes pass and i'm ready to drive to lucy's. i say goodbye to my mom, giving her a hug and walking myself out of the door. i get in my car, starting it and drive to lucy's house. i didn't mention this last time but her house is huge. literally twice the size of mine. and mine isn't that small.

finally after ten minutes, i make it to her house. i park in the street, not knowing if anyone will come home or leave from her house. i see her car in the driveway but no other cars.

i get out, walking up to her front step. i take a deep breath and knock twice, waiting patiently for her. the door opens and i'm met with a smiling lucy on the other side of the screen door. she opens it quickly.

"hi!" she says cheery, signaling me to come in with her hand. i take a step up into her house and she gives me a hug, wrapping her small arms around me. i do the same, putting my head on her shoulder.

"hi lucy." i smile, not letting go of the hug for a minute. she does the same and we just stand there comfortably. after i realize it's been a few minutes, literally, i pull away. she does too and laughs awkwardly.

"you can put your shoes there. make yourself at home." she says. i take my shoes off quickly. then i feel a hand grasp mine. i look over and see her walking me over to her living room. we sit down on the couch and i see her pull out the remote to the television. "are you hungry? i ordered us pizza, it's in the kitchen."

i'm officially stunned with how sweet this girl is. "i ate not that long ago, i'll have some in a little while." i tell her and she nods.

"okay, me too." she says. "so, did you like the game last night?" she asks me, sitting back on her couch and bringing her knees up to her chest.

"yeah it was fun. kenzie and i talked a lot mostly because i don't know anything about football." i giggle a little, and i see her just give me a little smile. nothing like her usual, big smile.

"you and kenzie are really close..huh?" she asks. i just nod slightly at her.

"yeah, we are." i tell her. she looks away from me, rubbing her knees with her palms.

"nicole and i we've..we've never been like that." she says as she just stares at her knees. "she's always just gossiped and talked about getting drunk and high and all these parties." she shakes her head, crossing her arms across her knees now. she rests her head on her arms.

"do you drink and smoke?" i ask her gently. she looks at me, sighing.

"nope. and i've only been to like two parties. i'm not like her. everyone is just like her so they like her more than me. sometimes i wonder if she talks to me just to get close to nate and talk about him." she rolls her eyes. then she paused and stares into my eyes. her beautiful eyes are a site i can stare at forever.