chapter 5

dakota's p.o.v

after last period ended, my eyes stayed glued to nicole as she left the room. i nodded at kenzie and followed the tall girl down the tall. i tried to not to make it too obvious that i was waiting for her to stop so i can talk to her. i can just hope life loves me enough to leave her at her locker, alone, for just two minutes.

she made it to her locker because i watch as she opens it. i take a deep breath, feeling my phone shake in my hands. i'm not a little bitch, i can do this! i'll show kenzie.

i walk up to her from the side but she doesn't notice me. i lightly tap her shoulder and she head whips to the side at me. she looks down at me and i can't tell what she's thinking, her face hasn't changed.

"nicole, i-it's me, dakota." i say, already regretting my decision to come and talk to her. she ignores me, piling her locker up with books and i see a million different lip glosses.

"are you new?" she asks as she looks at me. i shake my head frantically.

"no i'm not. can i ask a favor of you please?" i ask politely and she makes a slight whining noise. she closes her locker and crosses her arms at me.

"what?" she asks, chewing her bright pink gum. she doesn't seem to happy to be talking to me.

"lucy, she gave me her number on a little piece of paper yesterday but i lost it and i was just wondering-"

"lucy davis? give you her number?" she asks, giggling a little as she blows a bubble with her gum. i feel my heartbeat speed up as her eyes give me this look that judges everything about me. "you're the lesbian girl, right?" she asks. i gulp loudly, only nodding.

"she did." i say quietly, putting my head down. i can almost feel my heart drop to my ass as i see a new pair of shoes appear in front of me. boy shoes.

i look up, my eyes meeting with the one and only nathan. the so called popular, handsome guy that everyone loves. except me.

"why are you talking to her?" he asks nicole and nicole gives him a look that screams 'IM NOT' a million times. i want to just walk away but i feel like my feet are glued to the ground.

"she's talking about losing a piece of paper that lucy wrote her number on for her." she tells him, shrugging rudely. i can see his face turn a little red from trying not to laugh.

"i'm sorry, my girlfriend gave you her number?" he asks looking down at me, emphasizing the 'you' in that question. i just nod my head 'yes' again at them. "sorry but lucy isn't gay if that's what you're thinking."

"guys.." my eyes open wide and my head shoots up as the voice of a goddess is heard a few feet away. she comes up to all of us and she looks at me first, squinting her eyes a little, confused. my stomach feels like it's about explode.

"yo babe, this girl claims you gave her your number on a piece of paper." nathan says and starts laughing, along with nicole. he swings his arm around her but she takes it off quickly. lucy looks from them to me, nodding her head.

"yes, i did." she says, not having a problem saying those words. nathan's face turns into a shocked expression. maybe she isn't different around her friends and boyfriend?

"wait really? why? isn't she the gay girl?" he asks her and my eyes pool with heavy tears as i look down, putting my phone in my pocket.

i look at lucy and she just stares at me, biting her lip slightly confused.

"i-i'm sorry, i just wanted to ask nicole if she-" i stop talking immediately as i see all of them looking at me. i've never seen such eyes that judge so bad from two people before. "nevermind." i say, walking past all of them and quickly jogging down the hall.