chapter 18

dakota's p.o.v

i drive back to my house and we all go in, going into my kitchen and eating our mcdonald's. kenzie and i thank lucy for paying once again and she said she was happy to do it. it seems silly but mcdonald's is so good. even better when you don't have to pay (sorry lucy i hope you're enjoying it still).

we sit at my kitchen table talking and laughing. kenzie starts to get a little quiet, looking down at the table. i start to wonder if something is bothering her.

"you good kenzie?" i ask her and she looks up at me, seeming to snap out of her gaze.

"yeah yeah. i just um, i want to tell you something." she says quietly. i look at lucy with a questioning look and she shrugs lightly.

"okay." i say looking at her. she swallows hard, picking at her food.

"i'm talking to someone." she blurts out, freezing. i freeze as well and my jaw drops.

"you're what?!" i basically scream at her, making lucy laugh at me. kenzie shrugs, nodding.

"i've been talking to this boy who only lives in the next town over. he's so sweet." she says slightly blushing. i smile big, jumping up and down in my seat.

"oh my gosh why didn't you tell me? that's great!" i say happily. i get out of my seat and hug her quickly.

"aww." lucy says eating her french fries. "i'm happy for you kenz."

"me too!" i say.

"thanks guys." she smiles, continuing to eat her food normal now.

"what's his name?" i ask anxiously.

"hunter." she says blushing. i squeal, clapping my hands.

"i'm going to be an aunt to your children." i say sitting back down. she opens her eyes wide and lets out a laugh.

"he hasn't even asked me to be his girlfriend yet." she says. i shake my head, putting out my finger and waving it back and forth at her.

"don't worry, he will. you're awesome." i say smiling at her and she giggles, blowing me a kiss. "you gotta tell us about him."

"i will, not yet though. i wanna make sure he's worth it. boys are stupid sometimes." she says and i see lucy's eyebrow raise. she looks at her phone that was on the table quick and stares at it. i see her open it and read something. omg, nate?!

"lucy?" i ask gently. she looks up, taking a deep breath.

"he said he wasn't trying to ignore me and that he's sorry. that's it." she says dropping her phone back down on the table.

"nothing about being with nicole?" i ask and she just shakes her head, finishing her food. she gets up to throw it out, looking sad.

"sorry lucy. you don't deserve him." kenzie says also finishing her food. i just rest my head on my hand, keeping my eyes on her.

"yeah..like i've never heard that before." she says playfully raising an eyebrow at me. i grin, looking down.

"well i should get home. my mom needs help with something and then i have some homework." kenzie says standing up. i nod, standing up as well. we hug and thank each other happily. she says bye to lucy before grabbing her keys and walking out of the door. i throw my trash out, watching lucy just stare into space.

"hey." i say leaning down beside her. she jumps slightly, putting her hand over her heart. "want to go up to my room?" i ask her. she nods, standing up out of her chair.

she follows me upstairs and into my bedroom. i close the door behind us and walk over to my bed. she does the same.

"i really like your room." she says looking around. i laugh, shrugging.