chapter 4

dakota's p.o.v

"kenzie what am i supposed to do?!" i basically scream over the phone as i pace back and forth in my room. "sh-she's going to think and i don't want to text her when deep down i would rather do that than anything else right now."

"you should of asked her last period dummy." she says over the phone and i huff, shaking my head to myself.

"i already told you-"

"what's so scary about them?" she cuts me off, knowing that i was about to just bring nathan and nicole.

"they would make fun of me in point two seconds if i went up to her and asked for her number. and.." i trail off, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

"and..what?" she asks curious. i swallow hard, closing my eyes.

"i'm afraid that she acts different around them. what if she denied giving me her phone number. or she started laughing at me. o-or-"

"dakota..pay attention to what i'm going to say to you right now." she says cutting me off again and i'm honestly grateful because i sound crazy. i need to just relax.

"okay, what?" i ask, listening carefully to what she's about to say next. i've gotta say kenzie gives some good advice sometimes, besides when she's fooling around and embarrassing me.

"you're a little bitch." the words echo in my head and i take a deep breath, disappointed. this would be one of those times she's fooling around.

"fuck off." i remove the phone from my ear and press the decline button, throwing my phone behind me on my bed. that didn't help one bit except make me realize that i am a little bitch. but lucy davis gave me her number. which i lost. anyone would be a little bitch when it came to the gorgeous, popular girl.

[next day at school]

i grip the straps of my backpack as kenzie and i walk into school, talking occasionally on the way to our lockers. when we approach them, i quickly take this time to look around frantically. i don't see lucy anywhere.

i unpack my bag and quickly shove books and folders into my locker. i slam it shut, scaring myself and grabbing kenzie's hand. she yanks it away immediately.

"oh no, not again." she says, taking her hands out of my site. i pout, looking around again. "did you not hear what i told you last night?" she raises an eyebrow at me.

"yeah i did, sadly." i give her a sarcastic smile and her famous smirks plasters on her face. "let's just go to class."

i walk into first period, my heart beating out of my chest because i have a feeling lucy is going to say something to me. anything. whether it's good or bad, i freak out. i'm not used to her at all!

she comes strutting in the room, her heels clanking on the floor as she takes her seat next to me. she takes out some of her materials for class and i just look down, toying with my fingers.

i feel an intense glare on me all of a sudden and i close my eyes for a moment. i open them and turn my head to the left, seeing those eyes of hers staring into my soul.

before either of us can say anything, the teacher comes barging in. he starts the class right away and i finally feel relief when lucy's eyes focus on anything else but me.

we have an extra five minutes of our own time right now because of course, the teacher finished the lesson early. just my luck.

my cheeks start burning up as i can feel eyes on me again. i try to ignore it, putting my materials back in my bag. but when i lift my head up to straighten my posture again, our eyes meet. i gulp, seeing she has a blank face on.

"are you still mad at me?" the words roll off her tongue like she's been thinking that all class and has just been waiting for spit it out. i shake my head at her.

"i was never mad." i tell her, taking my eyes off of her. i need to tell her i lost her number. we are alone, this is perfect.

"oh so you just..didn't want to text me last night?" she asks and for one reason, i froze up. my mouth stutters open and closed like a fish out of water, lost at words.

the bell rings and i look up the ceiling, cursing at the stupid noise signaling we have to separate now. i see her stand up and swing her backpack over one shoulder. "next time you can just decline my number. it would of been better than telling me you were going to text me and then leave me hanging." she shrugs, looking genuinely upset. she walks out of the room, one hand pulling out her phone as she looks down at it.

well, i ruined my whole plan and to top that, i upset her. dammit! i get out of my chair aggressively and grab my backpack before storming out of the class. that's the last thing i need from the girl i think i like. i need to find a way to tell her i lost her number before the day ends. but how?!

when the lunch bell rang, i sprinted to lunch. i ended up making it before kenzie and olivia. i sit down and stare at the entrance of the big cafeteria. she finally walks in next to olivia as i see them talking about something. they sit down near me and kenzie gives me a smile.

"hey, little bitch." she says and laughs obnoxious after it. i roll my eyes, grab her arm, and give her sad eyes.

"please please please tell lucy i lost her number!" i plead, resting my forehead on her arm. it's silent for a moment before she shrugs me away from her arm, looking into my eyes.

"really d? are you that scared?" she asks me and nod frantically.

"yes. okay yes, i am a little bitch. now she's mad at me because i didn't text her and i wanted to tell her i lost her number but i froze up. please kenzie just help me!" i beg and beg, losing my appetite at this stupid anxiety.

"wait." both of our eyes shoot over to olivia who has spoken. i raise an eyebrow, curious at what she wants. "you like lucy davis?" she ask, seeming engaged in my love life. i sigh, shrugging my shoulders.

"i-i don't know. all's i know is that i want her number!" i say louder then expected. kenzie chuckles and i look at her in a pleading way.

"if you want her number, why don't you ask someone who has it already." olivia says and my head turns quickly to her. i look from kenzie and her as i start to regain some hope.

"you are a genius! who do you think has it?" i ask, glancing around the lunch room.

"i heard she doesn't give it out a lot. the best shot you have is asking nicole." as her statement ends with that name, my stomach turns. asking lucy's best friend for lucy's number?

i turn around, glancing at the popular table. i see nicole and lucy gossiping. i've heard nicole is a real bitch to some. but i've also heard she's a real sweetheart to others. what are my odds?

"thanks olivia." i give her a sweet smile but inside my stomach is going haywire. asking lucy is a long shot because when i want to tell her what happened, i freeze up. nicole is the best shot i have. i guess i'll have to work with that.

"good luck, d." kenzie pats my back, and then giving me a quick hug. then of course, a quick snag at my hair.

"ouch!" i whine, rubbing my head. she laughs, shoving her food into her mouth. sometimes i question my best friend.

what will dakota do? will she ask nicole for lucy's number? how will that go? comment and predict hehe! bye byee❣️