chapter 1

dakota's p.o.v

"first day of senior year! can you believe it?" kenzie shouts in the car as she speeds to school. i sigh, fixing my long brown hair in the car mirror.

"it's finally our last year in this horrific high school- can you slow down?!" i say to her but get abruptly interrupted as she goes right through a stop sign. "kenzie!" i shout at her.

"oh be quiet, you took an hour getting ready. we are going to be late." she rolls her eyes playfully at me and keeps driving over the speed limit. i slide down in my seat, just wanting this first day to be over with.

[at school]

we both swing our half empty backpacks over our shoulders and make our way inside the huge building. huge, yes. nice interior, hell no.

as kenzie and i enter the school building, i can pick out all the familiar faces i know from the last three years. most of them, i'm not happy to see. kenzie is pretty much my only friend. she has other friends, which in a way i wish she didn't.

"come on, our lockers are right next to each other remember?" she grabs my arm as she looks at her schedule. she drags me down the hall to our lockers. thankfully, they are right next to each other.

i start to unpack my bag, putting some items i don't need into the small storage space. i check the time on my phone and see we have five minutes until the first bell is going to ring. i look over at kenzie.

"you ass, we weren't going to be late." i say, squinting my eyes at her. she closes her locker, looking up as if ignoring me.

"sorry, i like driving fast." she smiles innocently. i roll my eyes and go back to minding my own business. "woah, look." she pokes me quickly and i turn around quickly, curious.

as my eyes land upon one of the most beautiful girl i've ever seen, i feel my cheeks heat up like fire. lucy davis. the hottest girl in school, no question. she's walking down the hallway in what seems like slow motion because she's just that stunning, with her boyfriend nathan and best friend nicole.

i quickly turn around as they get closer to make sure it wasn't obvious that i was staring. kenzie raises her eyebrows up to me and smirks. i hit her arm gently. then i see her eyes move somewhere behind me and they open wide.

"act normal." she whispers and takes her phone out. i look at her confused and then turn to my left. i see lucy walking over. i turn back quickly and see kenzie looking up at me. she bites her lip sexually in a joking manner.

"new girl?" i hear beside me and i recognize that voice anywhere. i turn my head to face her and i feel like i'm going to faint.

her short, brunette hair is absolutely gorgeous as it sits perfect atop her shoulders. her deep brown eyes are hard to look away at. her light makeup that she doesn't need catches my attention.

"um, no." i shake my head nicely at her and glance at kenzie. she has no idea who i am. not that a girl like her would ever look at me the way i look at her.

"no?" she questions, keeping her light smile on her face and furrowing her eyebrows. she's chewing gum, which makes it hard to not look at her bright white, perfect teeth.

"i've been here since freshman year." i tell her and her eyes widen for a moment. she seems to catch on.

"oh, you're the gay girl?" she asks me. i just look at her, shocked at how easily she said that. that's all i am in this school. the gay girl.

"yeah, i guess i am." i close my locker quickly and hold a tight grip on my bag.

"i'm sorry i didn't mean to say it like it. i just don't know your name." she says trying to regain some respect that i just lost for her a second ago. and she succeeded. i give her a grin.

"i'm dakota." i say. she puts out her hand for me to shake and i do gently. "you're lucy. i know." i chuckle, embarrassed.

"dakota. okay." she nodded taking her hand back by her side. "well i'll see you guys later."

i see her boyfriend coming over as she says that and i give her a nice smile and nod. kenzie gives a little wave. as she heads down the hallway, the bell rings. i turn my head towards the lockers and literally hit my head against them.

"dakota! don't do that. lucy davis just talked to you!" she says excitingly. she grabs my hands and jumps like a fan girl.

"she didn't know who i was, kenzie." i say shrugging. "i'm just the gay girl. that's not very good." i take out my schedule and take a look. my first class is calculus.

"it's a start! you met at least." she says as we start dragging ourselves down the long hallway. i shake my head.

"like she would ever talk to me again." i give her a glance and she rolls her eyes. then she starts laughing a little.

"next time try not to drool when you lay your eyes on her beautiful goddess self." she says and my cheeks turn a dark shade of pink.

"oh fuck you." i shove her lightly. "see you later." i say as i make it to my first class.

"love you!" she says as she keeps walking down the hallway. i sigh before entering the classroom. i look around quickly and the first person i see, of course, is lucy davis.

i enter the classroom more and look at all the empty  seats. one next to lucy and one all the way in the front of the class. really?!

lucy looks up from her phone and our eyes meet. i gain some slight confidence and walk to the near back of the classroom where she is. i place my bag down and look at her.

"can i sit here?" i ask, my heart racing for whatever reason. i cant believe i'm doing this right now. me sitting next to lucy davis? she's going to say no isn't me? ah shit, why did i even ask her!

"sure." she smiles at me and i feel all the weight being lifted from my shoulders. i take a seat take out a notebook and a pencil. i look over at her and smile back. this is going to be a long year.

the teacher comes as the bell rings once again and greets the class. i pay attention because i'm a pretty good student. i have good grades and i try my best. school is a big priority for me.

we didn't really do any work since it's the first day of school. so by the end of class we had about ten minutes of spare time we got for ourselves. i was busy writing some notes down in my notebook when i felt a tap on my shoulder. i stopped writing immediately and looked over. lucy was looking at me, eyeing me up and down.

"why have i like, never seen you around, dakota?" she asks and the way she said my name made my heart skip a beat. i drop my pencil and turn my attention to her. everyone else in the class is on their phones.

"i'm a shy kid. kenzie is pretty much my only friend." i shrug at her and she nods, taking in what i said.

"why's that?" she asks me and i freeze, not knowing what to say.

"i guess i'm not very likable." i spit out, thinking that's the only reason why i don't have a lot of friends.

"i don't think that's true." she says pilling her stuff together and putting everything in her backpack. the bell rings and she stands up. i watch her every move.

"oh it's true. i'm different. like you said, i'm just the gay girl." i say to her standing up as well. she gives me a sympathy look and that's the last thing i wanted from the prettiest girl i've ever seen.

before she can say anything, i walk out of the classroom and eye my schedule quickly. she's such a tease and she doesn't even know it. she must know shes doing something to me. ugh. i make my way to my next class, eager to tell kenzie what happened!

hey guys! i hope you enjoyed the first chapter. dakota's got a little crush already ;)) please vote and comment if you enjoyed. i love to hear comments you have about my writing! ❣️