chapter 26

dakota's p.o.v

my eyes open quickly, looking around frantically. i notice kenzie is not in the bed with me anymore. i rub the side of my head, groaning. i just had the weirdest dream.

i get out of bed, grab my phone, and go downstairs, heading to the kitchen. i see kenzie cooking and i can smell the bacon. "morning d." she gives me a small smile.

i sit down at the kitchen table, yawning. "morning." i say. "you can cook?" i ask jokingly.

"actually yes, yes i can." she says with an offended face on. i laugh, leaning my head on my hand. i watch her cook with such ease. she really is a great best friend.

we both eat the breakfast she made as i thank her. i thank her for picking me up last name and letting me stay here. and for cooking me a nice breakfast. she just smiles, knowing she's such a good friend.

all of a sudden my phone starts to ring beside me. i look and see its lucy. my face drops as i stare at the phone, gulping. i glance at kenzie and she shrugs.

i press decline and turn my phone over, continuing to eat. she tells me more about the boy she's been talking to and about what work she had to finish for her project last night. when we finish eating, she takes both of our plates and puts them in the sink. i follow her to the living room as we sit down on the couch.

my phone starts to ring again and i see its lucy calling again. i sigh, not knowing what to do. she might just keep calling. i press answer and put the phone up to my ear. "what?" i say harshly.

"dakota? oh my gosh, what..what happened?" she asks sounding panicked. i stay quiet for a moment. "why am i in nates bed?"

"you got drunk." i say quietly. "and you had sex with nate." i add, not feeling bad for talking to harshly to her.

"dakota i-"

"and then i was left to ask kenzie for a ride home. and then, guess what? i realized that you lied to me about ever feeling something so if you wouldn't mind, i need to go now." i say ready to pull the phone away and hang up, but her loud voice stops me.

"no no you've got it all wrong." she says loudly, her breathing being heard over the phone. i shake my head, not falling for this.

"i don't think i do." i say quietly, feeling that stinging feeling in my chest again.

"i was drunk." she says quickly. "i didn't know what i was doing i just- please dakota. just let me come over and we can talk about this."

"no." i say immediately. "i think it's better if you just leave me alone." i tell her and feel my eyes start to burn.

"please. i can explain." her voice cracks as she sounds upset. i shake my head, not wanting to hear anything. i've always had a soft spot for her but what i saw last night made me break.

"do you know what i thinking when i saw you two making out on that couch? can you even imagine to think what i felt? after you told me you felt something and we kissed so many times i-i.." i take a deep breath. i didn't want to talk about this over the phone. or at all. "it hurt lucy. it really hurt."

"i don't remember. i-i drank too much and don't remember what happened after we started dancing in the living room. i'm so sorry, please." she begs, her voice breaking. i sniff my nose, wiping my eyes quickly.

"we were never together anyway. why should i care right? why would i ever listen to what people tell me..right?" i ask, talking quickly into the phone.

"i know you care. i didn't lie to you." she says and i start to get frustrated. yes, you did.

"i don't." i say as i'm about to really hang up this time.

"don't say that, i know you care and i know you felt something too!" she shouts over the phone, making me flinch and take the phone away from my ear slightly.

"yeah lucy, you're right. i did. but now i see that i was a fool for starting to fall for you. surely someone like you would never want the nerd like me." i tell her, hearing complete silence on the phone. maybe i shouldn't of said that. no, i had every right to!

"i fucked up, i know. but i'm glad you're falling for me because i know that there is something between us. and there still can be, please." she says, adding a 'please' at the end for the fiftieth time.

"i need to go." i say ignoring all of what she just said to me.

"let's meet somewhere." she says quickly.

"no." i say with no emotion. "stay where you are, i'm sure you're happier there." i tell her and take the phone away from my ear, hanging up. i slam my phone down on the couch and look at kenzie. she's totally shocked.

"woah." she says gulping. "maybe you should talk to her." i look at her with confusion.

"why should i?" i ask, rubbing my arm. "i don't like liars."

"she was drunk. maybe she really didn't mean to have sex with him. maybe he went on her first and she just went with it. you should hear her out. she seems super upset." she explains to me, coming closer to me on the couch. i shrug my shoulders.

"i don't know. let's not worry about her right now." i say and give her a hug, stating close to her as we look for something to watch on tv. i need the comfort of my best friend right now.

as it started to get late, she gave me a ride home because it was a school night. she blew me kiss like always as i just have her a fake smile and walked up to my front door. i walk inside, seeing my mother on the couch.

"hi sweetie! how was the sleepover?" she asks me nicely. i nod, giving her a fake smile as well.

"it was good, thanks." i tell her and she smiles. i was about to walk upstairs but she started talking again.

"your friend stopped over before, asking where you were." she says and i stop, my eyes widening. lucy.

"w-what did she say?" i ask, frozen in place. she really came here. to my house.

"well she asked for you i told her you weren't here. she said to tell you she's very sorry and she wants to talk to you soon." my mom says and i sigh, nodding.

"thanks. goodnight." i say and walk upstairs, hearing my mom yell a 'love you' from downstairs. i walk into my room and shut the door behind me.

i fall onto my back on my bed as i just look up at the ceiling. i don't know what to do. i shouldn't of said some of those things i said before to her but i was angry. and hurt. she hurt me. i know she was drunk but why did she kiss him? it could of been anyone if she was really thank drunk. her ex boyfriend? that's not a coincidence.

i check my phone and see a bunch of new messages from her. i open my phone and check them. seeing her send me a bunch of texts saying she's sorry and that she really wants to talk to me. and that it's important. she knows she messes up and blah blah, you get it.

i stare at my phone screen, debating whether i should text back or not. my fingers hover over the keyboard, my mind spinning. i eventually press the on/off button on my phone and put it down beside me. i need to forget about her somehow. or should i? should i let her talk to me? i don't know!

i really like her it's scary. i've never felt this way about someone. the way she kisses me drives me insane. i've liked girls for a long time but she's different. i've never met someone like her. but what if it's all a lie and i'm wasting my time? i don't know what to do.

dakota gettin sassy on us now 😅 i hope you're all doing well and you liked this chapter!! comment and vote plz ❣️