chapter 2

dakota's p.o.v

my three classes after my weird, awkward talk with lucy were quiet but good. that's the way i like my classes. easy, quiet, and just simple.

when the lunch bell rang i practically ran to the lunch room. i had to tell kenzie all about what happened! through the herd of kids heading to lunch, i managed to see kenzie sitting with one of her friends at a empty table. i walk over fast and sat next to her.

"hey dakota! how's your day been?" she turns to me and grabs my hands in a happy manner.

"can i talk to you out in the hallway?" i ask her and as i wait for a response, i look around the room quickly. my eyes finally land on lucy, siting with her boyfriend and friends at a table with so many people sitting at it.

"why? olivia doesn't bite." she laughs gesturing to her friend. i give her a look and open my eyes wide.

"please. it's important." i plead to her and she finally tells her friend she'll be right back. i take her hand and guid her out of the noisy, big room full of kids.

"what happened?" she asks eagerly. i look around first to see if anyone is in the hall. we are clear.

"lucy is in my first period class and i sit next to her now and i'm scared." i tell her, talking at a very fast pace. a smile forms on her face.

"did you two talk?" she asks, her smile turning into a smirk now.

"yeah she asked why she never saw me around and i made a rude remark like i guess i'm not that likable because i'm just the gay kid. i didn't want to seem mean but i panicked and she looked like she felt bad but i left the room. fast." i say, biting the nail of one of my fingers harshly. "i fucked up, didn't i?"

"no, that's a good way to attract her to you. she'll probably apologize tomorrow and maybe you two will keep talking. think about it!" she says still smirking and i huff, not agreeing.

"she would never want to be friends with me let along date me. she's straight, what am i going to try for?" i ask quickly and kenzie just puts her hands on my shoulders. she looks in my eyes and tilts her head.

"you are beautiful, dakota. lucy may be straight now, but you are amazing and you already teased her a little. keep it up, maybe things will change." she shrugs, pulling me into a big hug. i sigh, hugging back. being with lucy davis? my dream.

"i'm such a nerd, i'm trying to chase the popular, straight girl?" i chuckle as we pull away. she pulls my hair back and twists it into a pony tail, only for it to unravel as she lets go.

"you two are a lot different. but opposites attract, don't they?" she asks and i start laughing at her.

"did you just make a magnet joke?" i ask her and she nods proudly.

"come on, let's get back to lunch." she says and swings her arm around my shoulders. we walk back and before we even enter the room, i can hear the obnoxious chatter going on.

kenzie and i quickly make our way back to her table with olivia at it. she glances at me and smiles. i do the same, starting to eat my lunch. kenzie does as well, pulling out some cold pizza from her lunch box. i roll my eyes playfully.

i turn around, making it seem like i'm just looking around when i catch eyes with lucy. she gives me a little smile as she looks across the room at me. i return the favor, along with a little wave. then i turn back to face the table i'm sitting at.

no matter what i do. lucy would never ever like me. even if she wasn't straight. i'm not likable. i've had one girlfriend. i'm too shy and i'm not popular. lucy is the most popular girl in school. she only dates the most popular guys. no surprise there.

when it was finally the last period of the day, kenzie and i see we have the same class. we walk in together after walking with each other in the hallway and i look around. in the back of the room is lucy, nathan, and nicole all gossiping. i glance at kenzie and she grabs my hand, guiding me to the back of the room.

"kenzie, hell no!" i whisper yell, darting to the front of the room. i don't like the front of the classroom but i sure as hell am not sitting back there with them. i sit in the second to front desk and kenzie sits next to me.

"why not d? don't you want to talk to her and be friends?" she asks me quietly and i try to ignore her, taking out a pencil.

"just because she's so pretty doesn't mean i want to be her friend." i say looking at her. she raises at eyebrow and gives me that bullshit look. "i-..i don't know." i tap my pencil on the desk.

"if you try to talk to her, i can guarantee you won't regret it." she says to me and i shake my head.

"not now. her boyfriend would totally humiliate me. i heard he's an ass-"

"okay okay. not now but tomorrow morning get her number or something." she shrugs, figuring why not.

i get anxiety just thinking about it i asked lucy davis for her number. she has enough friends and a boyfriend. she doesn't like girls. and she wouldn't like me if there was anyone who could ever change her mind about her feelings.

"that's too soon. just wait and maybe something will happen. i don't know." i say to her and as i do, the teacher walks into the room. kenzie nods and nudges me with her elbow playfully. i said that just to make her shut up, nothing will happen. with lucy davis and i? never.

finally the last bell rings and kenzie jumps out of her seat, grabbing her looks like she's late for an important date. i gather my things up and put them in my backpack.

"come on bitch!" she says pretty loud and some kids look at us. i grin at her, embarrassed but she just grabs my hand and guides me out of the classroom.

we get to our lockers, both of us doing the same thing. putting books away that we don't need and grabbing the ones we do need for homework. yes, we both got homework on the first day of school.

we walk outside to her car quick, and i'm glad because i was getting a little worried that lucy was going to come up to me. i'm not saying we are besties or anything but we left off on a weird note and i'm not ready for tomorrow morning.

[at home]

"bye kenzie! see you tomorrow." i wave as i get out of her car, one backpack strap around me.

"bye d! text me later and we should hang after school tomorrow." she says and i nod, smiling. i close the car door and walk up to my front door.

i enter my house, say hi to my mom, and go upstairs to my room. i really hope kenzie doesn't get obsessed over the idea or lucy and i. it won't happen and frankly, maybe it's for the best. id be really known around the school and i'm not used to that. i don't want that.

hii everyone, i hope you're all doing lovely! please give any feedback if you like my story and any suggestions please! ❣️🥰