√13. Competition

Start from the beginning

"Come back for us?" I asked.

"He used my life savings to travel to Canada. That bastard, now had the guts to tell me he'll be back for us. It's his ancestors that he will come back for not me and my children" she said.

Wow, speechless is what I am. It's obvious that mummy still cared for him and loved him, after a while she will calm down and forgive him after all they were high school sweet hearts and have been married for nineteen years, their twentieth anniversary was going to be next month.

"Oya oh, let's be going" my mom voiced.

************************************************************************

"Demilade, you will be sprinting four hundred meter boys. Chioma, four hundred meter girls. Sophia and Chuka both of you will run the middle distance one thousand five hundred meter run, so remember what I told you start steady, and after the second lap you take off to save your energy. Mercy you're doing the three thousand meter long distance and relay race. Emeka you are taking the hurdles, five thousand meter and relay race. Lewa you're doing Five thousand meter girls and relay race. You guys should not forget what's I thought you the race is about to start" Mr David voiced.

"Are you sure Sophia and Chuka can run one thousand five hundred?" I asked.

"If they can't then all of our training was a waste then" He replied.

"Can the 400m boy and girl representative from Royal Valley High School step up?" The official said.

Demilade and Chuka stood from their chairs and took a gulp of their energy drinks before stepping into their starting blocks.

"Are you nervous?" Someone asked beside me.

I turned around and saw Emeka smiling at me.

"Not really, these one's don't look tough" I replied.

"Ehn?! This ones that look like army officers" Emeka exclaimed, which made me burst out into laughter.

"They're just forming tough to intimidate us, on the inside they are as nervous as you are" I replied.

"They better be" Emeka said then pecked my lips. I giggled.

"They are"

Before we knew it time had passed and it was already time for me to do my five thousand meter. To be honest, I have never done a race this long, but how bad could it be? Stepping into my starting block, I started my breathing exercises.

Lewa don't forget, it's all about endurance and stamina. Endurance and stamina. Endurance and stamina.

"On your mark. Ready? Set. Go!!"

I took of slowly and steadily, to give my body time to to rev up. After about ten minutes of slow running, I took off and just as I expected my opponent was already getting tired and weak.

When I got on point-to-point, I ran with the wind at my back. That way I was able to fly along faster than usual. I started riding with the tail wind on the way back.

I made sure to put in my all, in my race and not give any attention to my opponent. I've lost a race because of that.

After about seven laps, I slowed down a bit.

I decided to check where my opponent was, and she was about half a lap away. Nice gap.

After slowing down for about two laps, I took off again. At this time, my opponent was a little bit ahead of me.
She didn't slow down, she kept using up all of her energy. I won't lie she was good, but she would be better if she learned to manage her energy.

When we got to the last lap, I knew that it was time for me to take off and leave the other girl behind. Putting in my all, I took off. My legs were already hitting my butt as I was running, but I didn't stop. If I lost this race, coach would be very angry and all of our efforts and time would go down the drain. With that thought in mind, I kept running with everything in me it felt as if I were actually flying, and ran passed the finish line.

It was hard to gain control of my body again, but when I did, I dropped to the ground in exhaustion. I felt someone pick me up and spin me around, but I was way to exhausted to check who it was.

"You won!! You won!!" The person kept on yelling.

"I won!!" I screamed, all the exhaustion suddenly leaving my body.

"I'm so proud of you. Nice one" Coach said.

"Thank you sir"

After about an hour or two, the whole race had come to an end and it was time to announce the winner.

"So we're just going to do a quick review of the races and their winner, then we will announce the overall winning School. So let's all take our sits"

"For the 400m race boys..."

At the end of the day, our school won the 400m race boys, the hurdles, the 5000m girls and boys and the 3000m race girls. We lost the 400m race girls, the 1500m race boys and girls and the relay.

"And the winning School is...."

"Royal Valley High School!"

Of course nobody stood up to cheer us on, because it was an away game, but we cheered for ourselves and didn't forget to rub it in their faces.

************************************************************************

Was this chapter boring?

I felt like it would be boring to most people.

Anyways what did you guys think?

Feel free to let me know.

QOTC: Did you feel Royal Valley deserved to win?

I felt they did.

Anyways thank you for reading, until next time. (Today or tomorrow hopefully).