3. Now, We Wait

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amos' POV:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I smiled at my best friend as he gaped in wonder at the prospect of Trinity outrunning me. "Maybe his father was a beta?" I suggested, earning myself a nod. Then, I said, "I'll go find him, talk him into going through the beta test." The Beta test was a rigorous course, designed to test the limits of any wolf who took it. It was a mental, physical, and emotional test. And most did not pass it.

Marshall nodded, giving me to go ahead to find Trinity, and with that, I took off. I, being the head beta for the next alpha, was to know the story and information of every wolf in the pack. As I approached his house, I ducked into the shadows, trying to see if he was here. Once I'd confirmed that he wasn't, I knocked on the door, smiling at the old woman who opened it. "Hello, Julia." I greeted, "I have to talk to Trinity. Is it alright if I wait in his room until he gets back?" The woman smiled and said, "Go ahead." And I thanked her. "Oh, and please do not notify him of my presence. I need to see how he reacts." And I walked up the stairs, entering his room and closing the door.

With a glance around, I smiled softly, "Hmm.... He has a good taste in decor....." And I took a seat on his bed. My nose twitched and I leaned closer, sniffing the blankets. 'He knows who his mate is..... But they haven't ever interacted....' I shook my head, "This kid must be tougher than I thought...." Then, I waited for a while, finally hearing the boy come in the house. He had a small chat with his guardian, who I was glad did not give me away. 'I'll need to remember to praise her a bit....' When the door opened, I crossed my arms and glared at the boy, who immediately froze. I could see the panic as he tried to figure out what I was doing in his house.

"We need to talk." I said, crossing my legs. He stood for a few moments, before swallowing, "Uhm.... What about?" The boy asked nervously. I smirked softly and said, "About you becoming a Beta." Immediately, he relaxed, his eyes going back to their normal width, "No." Trinity deadpanned. I stared at him for a moment, then smiled, "But think about the possibilities. You could become one of the personal friends of the alpha...." I spoke, knowing that any wolf would jump at the chance for that position. "No." He said, crossing his arms. It was clear that his wolf was fighting him, trying to change his mind, but Trinity would not budge.

"If you don't, I cannot promise that your caretaker will stay in the higher ranks of wolves for very long...." I said, thinly veiling my threat. His eyes widened slightly, then they narrowed. "Fine....." The boy said grudgingly.

"Good." He smiled, "Be at the next Beta testing." And I walked towards the window. "And, don't disappoint." And I jumped out of it, landing with a light thud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trinity's POV:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched Amos gauge my emotions, forcing myself to hide as much of them as I could. As he finally left, I slid down against the door, dropping my head into my hands. After a while, I heard a timid knock and moved away from the boor. "Come in." I said, watching Julia enter. "Hey." She said. "I brought you some dinner." She smiled softly, "That was quite the conversation..... So, beta tester, huh?" I nodded, flopping onto my bed. "I don't want to do this....." I said, 'But my wolf does....' I added into my mind.

Taking the plate, I slowly started to munch, thankful that my evening pain had not started yet.

Whenever a wolf stayed away, or avoided their mate, they would get a dull ache inside of their chest that progressively grew as the time did. Sighing, I said, "I think I'm going to head to bed." I gave her a quick hug. "Thank you for dinner." And she nodded, leaving me alone to my misery.

A few hours into my sleep, the pain hit and I woke up, unable to fall back to sleep with the throbbing of my heart. Every day, it got worse. But I only had to hang on until his twenty-first birthday. Then, he was required to marry a bride of his parents choosing, and our ties would be broken. 'I've done it for ten years. I can do it foe two more months.'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marshall's POV:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched as Amos walking into my room after knocking. Then, he flopped down in my desk chair, turning it to look at me. "He hates you." Was all he had to say before I sighed. "How can you tell?"

"Well, as we talked, I tried to throw in as much about being by your side as I could, and he would cringe, say no, then argue with his wolf." He shrugged and I groaned. "I barely know him, yet I care that he hates me...." Then I shook my head, "Did he agree, though?" My beta nodded, "Yeah. It took a few tries, but he'll be at the test in a week....." The male shrugged and I did the same. "So...... what now?" I grinned when he said, "Now, we wait."