Chapter 49

┏ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┓
Wednesday, August 8th, 1923
┗ ━━┅━━━┅━━ ┛

For the first few hours of the night, Alastor slept well. With Anthony in his arms, he had no reason not to after all.
However, it must have been around four or five in the morning, when Alastor began to dream.

It was a strange dream by all means, yet the surroundings were awfully familiar as Alastor was pulled into the dream. He was seeing the familiar surroundings from a first-person point of view, and as the dream became clearer, Alastor was able to process those surroundings. He was standing outside his home, in the middle of the street to be exact. It was dark out, and he was facing the house opposite his own, the neighbor being the man that Alastor had been 'caring' for over the past few weeks.

He himself couldn't move on his own accord, however, it seemed that this dream was taking him towards that neighbor's house. There was a sudden moment of darkness before another familiar scene faded in. This time, it was unmistakably the bedroom of the elderly neighbor, and Alastor was looking down at the sickly man who lay in his bed, the elder barely breathing, chest heaving away.

A cold chill ran through Alastor's body, seemingly apart of the dream, yet the feeling was again familiar enough as he unwillingly crept closer and closer to the elderly man known as Mr. Cormier.

His view of the dream suddenly changed, not to something that Alastor had been expecting, and with that, the brunette shot up out of bed, eyes wide, now awake.

Breathing labored, Alastor completely disregarded the fact that Anthony was in his arms as he scrambled out of bed.

That had been no dream.

Naturally, Anthony was practically thrown out of his slumber and, just as he had the night before, fell onto the floor with a yelp.

"Alastor?!"
He called once he managed to process what had happened, but his lover was already downstairs and at the door. He only knew this because he heard the door open and close again.
Anthony's brows furrowed and quickly got to his feet, ignoring the mild pain from his tumble, and opened the curtain. It was still dark out so his vision was limited.

"What the hell are ya doin'?"
He muttered under his breath as he watched his lover's figure run across the street; still in his pajamas and bare feet.
Shaking his head, the blonde started making his way downstairs. He couldn't leave the house because he was only in his shorts and still in one of Alastor's oversized shirts, so if anyone were to see him running after the man, eyebrows would certainly be raised.
Once he got to the front door, he stood waiting just inside with the door slightly open so he could see when Alastor would be making his way back.

It wasn't too cold outside, so being in just his pajamas and bare feet wasn't too much of an issue. Even if it had been cold, Alastor was far too distracted.
Rushing to the neighbor's home, Alastor ran around to the back of the house where the back door was always unlocked and simply walked inside. Everything was dark.

Alastor didn't care to make his presence known, and since the home was only one floor, in no time at all was he slowly opening the door to the elderly man's bedroom, looking inside.
Again, it was dark, and everything within the room was just as it had been during the dream he'd just woken up from.
In one of the corners of the room by the window, there was a standing mirror. Alastor briefly glanced at it, and as he did, his suspicions were confirmed. From the natural light of the outside, he was able to make out both himself in the mirror, and the shadowed entity standing directly behind him. It looked over his shoulder, staring right at him through the glass, it's smile wide.