Chapter 25

My alarm went off much too soon. I'd tossed and turned most of the night. I got up around 3am to grab an ice pack from the freezer. My wrist was throbbing and bruised where Andrew grabbed me.

I sighed and got out of bed. Pulling a hoodie and a pair of jeans on before I left my room. I didn't want to go to class today, but I had also missed enough classes this semester. I checked my phone to see a text from Maddie. She'd left already and would see me in class. I was hoping to talk to her about the note I'd found, but decided against it. I knew how she felt about Derek. Especially after everything we'd been through together.

I slipped on my sneakers, grabbed my keys and left for school. Traffic was alot more hectic this morning, I'd be lucky to make it to class on time at this rate.

My phone rang as I parked in the school lot. I answered it before checking the caller ID, instantly regretting my decision to do so.

"Alex? I'm surprised you picked up." He said sheepishly.

"What do you want, Andrew?" I groaned, it was too early for this.

"Look, I'm sorry about yesterday. Can we just talk, please?" He begged.

"You know you nearly broke my fucking wrist, asshole." I snapped.

"A-Alex, I'm sorry. I drank too much, and I-"

"Save it. I've got classes, bye." I hung up before he could reply. I put my phone on silent, shoving it in my pocket as I headed for the English building. I didn't want to think about him anymore.

I took my seat next to Maddie and kept my head down. I wasn't expecting the room to be so warm. I was counting on it being cold outside to justify wearing my hoodie. I rolled my sleeves up at some point, forgetting about the bruise on my wrist.

"Alex!" Maddie gasped, "what happened to your arm?"

She tried to whisper, but it was loud enough for Mr. Gardner to hear. His eyes went wide when he saw the purple marks on my arm. I pulled my sleeves back down, balling the end of the sleeve up in my hand.

"Its nothing." I whispered back.

"Did Andrew do that to you?" She gritted her teeth. I shook my head, trying to avoid her and Mr. Gardner's gaze.

The class dragged out, Maddie kept hounding me to tell her what happened. I was grateful when the bell finally rang and everyone started to leave.

"Ms. Mills? Can I speak to you for a moment?" Mr. Gardner called out to me, I groaned and looked to Maddie. She nodded and left the room. I knew I'd have to tell her later, she wasn't going to let this go.

"May I see your arm?" He asked cautiously, holding his hand out to me.

I sighed, pulling up my sleeve to reveal the purple bruises. It wasn't hard to tell what caused them. They were clearly in the shape of fingers.

Mr. Gardner gently ran his thumb across the marks. "What happened Alexandra?"

"I just got in an argument with a friend." I said retracting my arm.

He huffed, "They don't sound like much of a friend."

"Why does it matter?" I snapped. "You know what, I've got other classes to get to. I have to go." I turned to leave, only for him to stop me.

"Alex, just talk to me please." He said matter-of-factly.

"That's rich coming from you." I snapped.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He said defensively.

"Who were you talking to on the phone the other day, when I forgot my bag? " I crossed my arms, hoping the change of subject would work in my favor.

He sighed, taking a seat at his desk. He motioned for me to sit in the chair next to him. I moved the chair to the other side of the desk before sitting down. I didn't want to be any closer to him.