Chapter 12

I woke up to the sound of something moving near my head. I opened my eyes and looked up at Maddie, I smiled at her.

"Morning sleepy head. Did you sleep good?" She said sitting next to me.

I nodded, "As good as I can in a hospital."

"Don't worry the nurse is coming to take your IV out in a little while. Then you'll be discharged and we can head home." She said smiling and patting my head.

I swatted her hand away and laughed. She laughed briefly and leaned back in the chair. I could see a pained expression on her face and bags under her eyes. It was obvious she hadn't slept the night before.

Sure enough, the nurse came in shortly after Maddie to take out my IV. Within 10 minutes I'd been discharged. I'd been given strict instructions from the doctor to drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest. He wrote me a note so I could stay home from school for the rest of the week.

"I'd also advise you to throw out any fruits or vegetables you have and purchase new ones. Just to be on the safe side." He said firmly.

I nodded, and waved to him as we left the room.

I couldn't thank Maddie enough for finding me, and staying with me while I was in the hospital. If it weren't for her, who knows how long I would have been laying on the floor. She really was a true best friend to me. I smiled and linked my arm with hers as we made our way to her car.

"I'm going to stay with you for a couple of days." Maddie told me as we got in the car.

"You don't have to Maddie. I'll be okay."

Maddie frowned, "I know I don't have to Alex, I want to. You need your rest, and I'm going to make sure you get it."

"Uh oh, Maddie is entering mom mode again." I chuckled.

"You bet your ass I am missy." She giggled.

Maddie proceeded to pull out of the parking lot and head home. She told me what I'd missed in class, and how Tracey had been transfered out after the incident with Mr. Gardner.

"He's been asking about you." Maddie said with a smirk.

"Who?" I scrunched up my nose.

"Mr. Xavier Gardner." She fanned her face, laughing all the while. I rolled my eyes.

Maddie laughed even louder, "Oh chill out, he was just asking how you were doing and told me to send you his well wishes. He really is a sweetheart."

I snorted and leaned against the window. Thankfully Maddie didn't press me on it. My last encounter with Mr. Gardner didn't go over so well, and I was becoming weary of him. Especially after the doctor told me I had elevated levels of pesticides in my system. Did he try to poison me? Or was it all really just an accident?

I'd spaced out completely until we arrived back at our apartment building. Maddie helped me up to my apartment, no matter how much I protested. It's not like I'd broken a limb, but she was just being cautious.

She made sure I was settled away before leaving for school. She took my doctor's note and promised to drop it off to the Principal. I thanked her and she left.

I picked up my phone and plugged it in. The screen turned on to reveal a missed message. I rolled my eyes when I saw it was from Xavier. I was reluctant to open it, but it's not like he'd know if I read it.

"Alexandra, please allow me to explain my behaviour. I understand how it may have seemed as if I were following you. But, I'd just left the library before you arrived. I knew Adrian was inside, so I feared he would harm you. I only want the best for you Alex. So, if you wish to end our relationship, I understand. -X"