Chapter 36

I must have been delusional to think this nightmare would end so easily. Andrew appeared in the doorway of the hotel room. His bound wrists were around Derek's neck. What scared me was he had somehow gotten his hands on a knife. I stood up quickly, letting the towel on my shoulders fall to the ground. The receptionist grabbed my arm gently. She shook her heard, urging me not to go near them. I patted her hand, trying to give her a little reassurance that I'd be okay.

I took a few steps towards them. Derek had his jaw clenched, I could tell he was pissed. What I couldn't figure out was how Andrew had sobered up so quickly.

"Did you really think I'd come back here drunk, and give you the upper hand?" He chuckled.

"How did you know?" I snarled. Fully aware he'd figured us out somehow.

"Your watch gave you away. I was coming back to the room and I heard the notification go off. I knew then you were planning something. What kind of idiot do you take me for Alex?" He growled in response.

"The police are on the way!" The receptionist yelled from behind me.

"He doesn't care. He's fucking insane." I said to her, directing it more towards Andrew.

"You haven't seen nothing yet, baby doll." He said menacingly.

What Andrew didn't know is we had planned ahead. He was always two steps ahead, but this time we were 3 steps ahead of him.

"If you kill him, you'll lose me forever." I said, keeping my expression stoic.

I could see his eyes widen and narrow again. The wheels in his head were turning nonstop. He chewed his lip nervously. I knew I had him now, losing me was not something he was willing to do.

His hand began trembling, the knife in his hand wobbled. His grip loosened on the knife, letting it fall to the ground. I wasn't convinced I'd won yet though, he wasn't just going to let Derek go. There had to be something in it for him for that to happen. I already knew what that was going to be.

"Let him go and I'll go with you. I don't want anyone else to die because of me." I said, holding back tears.

"Fine. If he unties my hands, he can go." Andrew said cautiously.

"Alexandra don't do this. You don't need to go with him." Derek said, pleading with me.

I shook my head, "It's the only way he'll stop."

Derek sighed, loosening the rope around Andrew's wrists. Andrew removed his arms from around Derek's neck. Giving him the opportunity to move away from him. Andrew looked at me expectantly, holding his hand out toward me.

"Can I say goodbye to him, please?" I asked, letting a tear slip down my cheek.

Andrew grit his teeth, "make it quick."

I wrapped my arms around Derek, hugging him to me tightly. His arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me even tighter. I felt him slip something into my back pocket, but pretended I didn't notice. We couldn't mess this up now. Not when we were so close to finally ending this.

"I love you." I whispered in his ear, planting a quick kiss on his cheek.

"I love you too, peaches. I'll see you soon, I promise." He whispered back.

We let go of each other and I stepped away from him. I walked over to Andrew, letting him take ahold of my arm.

"Don't follow us." Andrew snapped at Derek. "I can promise I won't let you live next time."

Andrew pulled me through the alleyway on the side of the hotel. I could hear the dull sound of sirens approaching. He picked up his pace, rounding the back of the building. He was almost out of time, and he knew it.