[Cuphead|Casino!Cuphead x Reader] Home

[Dedicated to the gorgeous AnnSmith6666, who requested a Part 2 of Protection, my previous Casino!Cuphead oneshot. I hope this satisfies!]

Written: Friday, 25th September 2020

Cuphead sighed heavily, glancing over the sleeping bundle on the rickety old couch. "You ready, Cuphead?" Mugman asked, startling him slightly.

"Uh, yeah, just a sec, Mugs." He quickly scooped Y/n's tiny figure into his arms, gasping lightly as her eyes fluttered open. "Hey, bud. How're you feelin?" She yawned, wiping her eyes.

"Are we going home now?" She mumbled, curling into him, savouring his warmth. His heart melted and he adjusted his hold protectively.

"Yeah, buddy, we're going home now." She nodded, eyes falling shut once more as Cuphead let loose a breath he hadn't realized he was holding. Grasping her tightly, he quickly followed Mugman out of the casino into the cold night.

It was late, the night brightly lit by the huge full moon, surrounded by her thousands of stars, mere pinpricks in the dark sky. Silence echoed through the cobbled streets, only interrupted by the tap, tap, tap, of footsteps on the freezing ground.

"So, what are we going to do with her?" Mugman's warm breath clouded his vision as he eyed the girl in his brother's arms.

"She can take my bed; I'll sleep on the couch." Cuphead's replied heavily, gaze never leaving Y/n as he coddled her further into his chest.

"Brother, you have to understand-"

"I'm not letting her go, Mugs. She needs us right now and we're going to be here as long as she needs." His voice was sharp now, barely dulled by the tiredness in his eyes. His heart ached for the child, he refused to leave her alone, especially with how alone he and Mugs had felt after Elder Kettle's passing, he knew how crushing it could get.

As if on cue, her small whimpers pulled him from his spiralling thoughts, a passing streetlamp illuminating the sweat now coating her small brow and the tears beginning to hedge her eyelashes as she struggled to escape her bonds. Rushing her to a nearby bench, he quickly untangled her, pulling the now shivering girl into his arms. He desperately reassured her, stroking her back as she fought to be free. "Y/n, Y/n, wake up!" His almost pained cry reverberated off the deathly quiet night and Y/n jolted awake, tears now falling freely from her eyes.

"Hey, hey, it's me, buddy! You're ok, I've got you." Her head cleared slowly. She was safe, he promised to protect her, and she trusted him with all the belief her tiny heart could muster.

"Cuphead?"

"Yeah, bud, I'm here." He sat on the frigid bench, setting her gently next to him, giving her the space she needed until she looked up at him again with those innocent eyes.

"Thank you." And with that, she shoved her face into his side, giving him a huge hug.

"Do you need a piggyback the rest of the way?" Cuphead asked, placing a comforting hand on her back.

"Yes please." Came the muffled reply and he bent down in front of the bench, waiting patiently as Y/n climbed on.

"Let's get you home, bud."

"Here we are, buddy! Home, sweet home." Y/n, who was starting to dose off by this point, suddenly jolted upright, barely missing smacking her forehead on the low doorframe. Cuphead gently helped her off his shoulders, onto the plush couch, earning a satisfied groan from the girl. "You hungry?" he asked. She nodded absent-mindedly, staring at Mugman as he locked the door to their small apartment. "Anything in particular?"

"Pasghetti."

"Can do, kiddo. We have spaghetti, right, Mugs?"

"Right. You get Y/n settled in, I'll make us some to eat, ok?"

"Ok, bud, you ready to see your new room?" Y/n hummed her affirmation, taking his outstretched hand.

The room itself wasn't much to be desired, sure, but it was home. Y/n took an instant liking to the beanbag in the corner, burrowing into it like a small animal. Part of Cuphead was surprised that she hadn't buried herself underneath it. "You know you can sleep on the bed, right?" Y/n yawned, snuggling in further to the plush covering, letting her eyes flutter closed once more as Cuphead chuckled, leaving with the promise that he'd wake her up when dinner was ready.

Cuphead headed back out to the kitchen, flicking the kettle on, and leaning against the counter. "How is she settling in?" Mugman asked, not diverting his gaze from the boiling pot on the stove.

"Sleeping like a baby. I mean, she passed out on the beanbag before I could show her anything else, but I can move her if she goes to bed there."

"That's our Y/n."

"Through and through."

"You know, I was thinking," Mugman piped up after a moment. "She's going to need an education."

"Can't you teach her?" Cuphead replied, causing Mugman to almost drop the ladle he was holding, sputtering dramatically.

"I-I-I don't think-"

"Nonsense, you're a great teacher! We just need to get you some books, and you'll be swell!"

"She needs a proper education, Cuphead."

"We never had one, and we turned out fine!"

"We fought the devil!"

"Which makes us wiser than any teacher, Mugs!" He gave his best puppy eyes, spinning Mugman away from the fresh bowls of pasta. "Please? For me?" Mugman sighed heavily, spooning sauce onto the plates.

"Fine, I'll see what I can do."

"You're the best, Mugs!" Cuphead latched onto his brother momentarily, before sprinting back to wake Y/n up.

"Thank you, Mugman. I love pasghetti, you make it really good." Mugman flushed at Y/n's praise, scratching his arm nervously.

"Ah, thank you, Y/n. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

"What did you do about school?"

"You heard that?" Y/n nodded, chewing on a stray meatball as Mugman cleared his throat, Cuphead turning from scarfing down his meal to watch as well. "W-Well... I can't teach you on my own-"

"Mugs-"

"Let me finish, Cuphead." He sighed, regaining his composure. "I can't teach you everything, but I made some calls and the debtors are willing to help you out." Pulling a list from his pocket he began to read. "Cagney will take botany, Sally will teach drama, Dr Kahl, robotics. Bottom line? Everyone is willing to teach you something, including me. I'll take history."

Y/n swallowed thoughtfully, light shining behind her dull eyes, less haunted than the hours before. Something about the care and concern the brothers showed for her felt so foreign and yet, so right. It was different than her parents, and much warmer than the lifeless plastic junk her life was filled with. She hopped down from the table, wandering over and wrapping her small arms around the waist of the taller cup brother.

"Thank you, Mugs." She muttered, heart singing as he placed a gentle hand on her head.

"Hey, don't leave me outta this!" Cuphead yelled, jumping to embrace the two of them, drawing a giggle from Y/n, the first she'd laughed in a while.

Yeah, she was definitely going to like it here.