[Cuphead|Casino Cups & Reader] Have a Drink

Written: 29th September 2019

Y/n slammed a twenty on the bar. "I heard some of these drinks'll kill ya if you're mortal?" She drawled as the cup behind the bar nodded heartily.

"Yep! What can I get ya?" He grinned. Another cup ran up to him, jamming an elbow into his ribs. Their heads clinked together as the red one glared up at the blue one.

"Cuphead!" Scolded the taller one.

"Ugh, whaat?" The red once, Cuphead, groaned loudly, popping a cork and pouring a large bottle of whiskey directly into his head.

"The lady's clearly distressed, she's not thinking straight!" He half-yelled in Cuphead's face. He took a few deep breaths as Cuphead jumped the bar and sat on her left. He turned to Y/n, smiling gently. "What's wrong?"

Y/n rolled her eyes as he poured a drink, sliding it across to her. "I thought this was a casino, not a therapist."

"W-Well, it is! But, dying with one of those in your hand is not a good way to go, believe me."

She nodded, huffing a laugh and slamming another twenty down, making the taller cup jump, coffee spilling over his head. "Get me one anyway."

A man with a die for a head in a purple suit waltzed up behind the blue cup, placing a hand on his shoulder protectively. "And what's a gal like you doin' in a place like this?"

"Trying to get a strong drink. Now I'd be happy if you poured me the strongest one you could find." Y/n bared her teeth at him. Cuphead mumbled something, now thoroughly drunk, falling onto her shoulder. She sighed, putting an arm around his shoulder to steady him. The men behind the counter stared with wide eyes. "My drink?" She growled, running her free hand though her hair.

"Um, doll? You are aware these'll kill ya? You are mortal, ain't ya?" The dice man stared awkwardly, pouring one for himself.

"Of course, I'm aware, you idiots!" She hissed, grip shifting to support the cup still leaning against her. "THAT'S WHY I'M HERE." She grinned sarcastically, taking the drink the mug poured her and downing it. "If I'm going to hell, why not go out in the DEVIL'S CASINO. Certainly closer to my destination."

"And why, may I ask, are you going to hell?" Dice asked, adjusting his suit jacket.

"Because I'm about to kill myself." Her voice dropped to a whisper, shaking. "Because that's what happens to us, we take our God given lives and we end them early because the man upstairs can't be bothered to maintain us! BECAUSE WE'RE A BAD GAME OF SIMS AND HE WANTS TO PLAY WITH US FOR JUST A BIT LONGER BEFORE WE KICK THE BUCKET." She yelled, as the glass she held in her hand shattered, cutting into soft flesh. She laughed as her hand began to bleed onto the bar. "Huh." She folded it in towards her chest, sucking air in through her teeth, blood staining her shirt. The mug gently took her arm, bringing her hand towards him as he began to clean the wound, while the die cleared away the shattered glass, sweeping it into the rubbish bin. Y/n slammed her head down on the bar, trying to keep the cup next to her from falling, as tears slipped over her cheekbones, soaking her cheeks as she snatched the bottle the dice was holding and downed it.

The cup beside her stirred, slurring his words as he heaved himself up onto the bar, pointing down at her slumped figure. "You're really pretty, you know that?" He stumbled and fell, Y/n slid from her stool and caught him before he hit the ground, whisky splashing onto her shirt and mixing with her blood. Her hand had pearls of blood forming on her palm as she carried him bridal style through to the break room, dumping him on a couch. "Oi! Other cup thing!" She yelled, cradling her injured hand against her chest, the whiskey like fire in the wound.

"Mugman," The blue cup replied. "And you don't have to yell, I'm right here."

"You know to sober him up?" Y/n prompted, gesturing towards the now sleeping Cuphead. Mugman nodded, walking over to his brother and picking up his head. He walked calmly over to the sink and dumped it in. The head woke up and started gurgling under the water, choking it back up as Mugman raised him up and put him back on top of his flailing body.

"What the heck was that for?!" Cuphead yelled, going to boil the jug.

"You were going to hurt yourself, brother." Mugman shot back, pulling some tea bags down from the cupboard. "If this lovely lady hadn't caught you, we'd be picking up your pieces again!"

They grumbled under their breath at each other for a moment as the jug boiled. There was a 'ding!' and Cuphead poured boiling water into his skull, Mugman dumping a tea bag in as they went back to work. Y/n wandered out after them, dumbfounded, and took up her seat at the bar again. The purple die came up to her, cleaning the bar. "Sorry, darlin' but we're closing soon. Can I get ya something that won't kill ya?"

Y/n shrugged. "Sure, Mr....?" He grinned taking her uninjured hand and placing a quick kiss on the back of it.

"Dice, King Dice. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Ms....?"

"L/n. Y/n L/n." She smiled softly. King Dice walked around the bar and sat down to her right, taking her injured hand in his and beginning to clean and wrap it.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, doll. You're a kind gal, you got heart. Not a lot of that left these days. We could use someone like you on staff. I don't suppose you're any good at performing?" He poured them both a drink, placing a kiss on her now bandaged hand.

"Eh, I can sing. If you need someone to sing, that is." She blushed, turning her stool to face him.

"Let's hear it then, darling." He prompted, smiling over his glass at her.

She took a deep breath and a swig of her drink, feeling the warmth settle in her chest as she began to sing quietly as to not attract the last remaining staff in the building. "I'm Mr. King Dice, I'm the gamest in the land. I never play nice, I'm the devil's right-hand man. I can't let you pass, cause you ain't done everything. Bring me those contracts, come on, bring em to the King."

King clapped, pouring them both another drink. "Good taste, where'd you hear that one?"

"Used to live around the die house as a kid, got bored one day and wandered in while you weren't there, listened to the song on loop. Didn't realize anyone ever went there." She smiled, reminiscent over her days spent in the die house with her old friends. King Dice grinned, taking a shot.

"I'll put you through to the Boss, we'll get you in next week."

"I'd better get going then. Is there anywhere to stay near here?" She asked, swirling the last dregs of her drink in the glass.

"I'll get those cups to accompany you back to their apartment block, you can stay there."

"Thanks," Y/n finished her drink and placed the glass on top of her money. "Evening, Dice." He raised a glass in response, and she went to find the cups, feeling just a bit better.