[WKM|Colonel x Reader] Mirror, Mirror

[I rewrote this so long ago and never published it for some reason? Anyways, have it now!]

REWRITTEN: Thursday, 10th September 2020

The events of the last few hours weighed heavily on Y/n's mind as they faced The Colonel, pulling a brave half-grimace as they flashed before their eyes. Mark's cold eyes, his blood red robe, the crimson leaking from his wounds. The shattered glass and the booming thunder. The accusations. Their shoulders caved as they recalled their involuntary partnership with the detective, which led her to where they were now. Following a mad man onto a secluded balcony, alone with The Colonel at last.

Y/n's heart pounded in their chest, the dam in their eyes beginning to crumble as he continued his monologue. Taking in gasping breaths, they struggled to keep their sobs from spilling over, drawing the attention of The Colonel, stopping him dead in his tracks. Their hands flew to their face, scratching away the first tears beginning to break through, glaring at the ground.

"Oh, my, you're, uh, you're crying. Oh, dear." His worried voice was now barely a whisper above the raging storm of voices in their head. They barely registered the screaming pain in their knees as they hit the cold concrete, curling in on themself, desperately trying to pull that brave smile back across their cheeks. They shivered, freezing cold as their chest heaved, saliva dripping onto the pavement. Then, a single touch of warmth.

A sudden hand on their back made the turbulent seas stop for a moment, confused. Turning their head up, they noticed The Colonel, kneeling next to their shaking form, rubbing calming circles across their spine.

Their tears slowed and they peeked up at him with puffy eyes. "I'm sorry." They mumbled, pushing themself into a sitting position, The Colonel monitoring every jagged movement. Wiping their eyes on the sleeves of their top, they gave him their best watery smile and he grinned sadly back.

"I didn't mean to scare you; I am truly sorry." A little chuckle erupted from Y/n's lips.

"Don't be, I've just been... really overwhelmed. I haven't been handling it as well as I'd like." Suddenly his arm was around their shoulders.

"You're doing the best you can, that's all that matters right now." Y/n groaned slightly, leaning into his warmth.

"Thanks, Colonel."

"Please, call me William." They nodded heavily; eyes fluttering shut as they felt the world fall out from under them.

They groggily awoke on one of the mansion's couches, god knows how long later. They sat up, every bone in their body cracking as they stretched out, eyeing the bright pink sticky note on the arm. My Dearest, Y/n, the note read, I hope you slept well. I have some things to attend to, but please, feel free to meet me in the dining room once you wake.

- The Colonel

Something in their heart jolted at the word "dearest". They'd always liked the idea of having a soulmate, someone to spend their life with, and as men went, William wasn't all that bad.

With a spring in their tired step, they traversed the house, eventually finding the dining room. They stepped off the plush silver carpet of the hall and into the cold tiled room, it's large round table now surrounded by their friends and their acquaintances.

At their entrance, a new character stood suddenly, making unnerving eye contact before introducing herself as Celine. Y/n gave her a shaky smile, flicking the hair away from their face as both women took their seats. "You've heard the news, then." Y/n asked, Celine's answering wince more than enough.