[TAWOG|Rob x Borrower Reader] My Cupcakes Bring All The Tiny People to the Yard

[This oneshot is dedicated to the incredible AhumanOffially! Thank you so much for your patience, and I hope this brings you joy!]

Y/n's eyes darted around, their breath shallow despite the deserted street. They couldn't believe their eyes! On the other side of the road sat a perfectly pink cupcake, it's cherry shining in the morning light. The road was silent as they crept across, keeping to whatever shadows they could find. As if on cue, their stomach rumbled, a sudden hot flash overtaking them. They leant against a wall for a moment, trying to recover before they made their mad sprint towards the food. They hadn't eaten properly in weeks!

If there was ever a moment for an angel's choir, this was it. The cupcake towered over their small stature, their mouth watering at the smell. The sugary sweet smell of artificial strawberries drew them closer.

No longer paying any mind to their surroundings, they started their climb. Standing on the moist surface, they gave in, collapsing to their knees to take a bite. Flavour exploded in their mouth, a satisfied groan echoing from their throat. They continued, chewing blissfully as they swung their backpack off. For every two crumbs that were going in their bag, one was going in their mouth. The cake was fluffy, with a vague strawberry aftertaste, and it was heavenly.

Suddenly, they heard a small click.

They barely had time to blink before their arms were pinned to their side, and they were flung away from the pavement. They jerked to a stop, causing them to cough out their mouthful of cake as they swung aimlessly.

"Hm. Well, shit." Y/n muttered to themselves, not happy about how their day was going. Even the sweetness of the cake couldn't console them now, their backpack laying aimlessly 2 feet below. Sure, 2 feet doesn't seem that far down, but when you're only 5 inches tall, you start to panic.

Unless you're Y/n. They didn't know what it was, whether all the blood rushing to their head was making them tired, or all the carbs they'd just eaten, but Y/n found their eyes drooping shut. Too tired to fight it, they let themselves drift into a dreamless sleep.

Y/n's snoring echoed in the late morning air, warmer but still out of the sun's reach. It'd been hours by that point, and the owner of the trap had finally come to collect. The man stared at tiny borrower, bewildered. Hanging upside down, snoring like they didn't have a care in the world. They looked almost peaceful... until they choked on their own spit. Their eyes snapped open, coughing their tiny lungs out. Their eyes landed on the giant before them, and terror took over, coughing replaced with a startled scream.

On instinct, the giant started screaming too. "What are you?!"

"I'm a borrower!" Silence fell between the pair, confusion written all over the man's face. "What? Never heard of us?" Y/n scoffed.

"No, I have, I just... assumed you were just kids stories."

"You are literally hunting a blue cat, his brother is a fish with legs aaaand a walking cactus just went by. And I'm the one you have trouble believing in? Right..."

"Alright, point taken. Wait, how do you know about Gumball?"

"I used to live in the walls of his house, but his dad doesn't leave any crumbs. I nearly starved to death!"

"Ok, ok, I'm lost." Y/n let loose another sigh, shaking their head.

"Alright, let's do this one last time. I am a borrower, I live in people's walls and borrow things, mostly food."

"No, I meant, why are you out here if you're supposed to be in the walls of a house?"

"Oh, right. Well..."

Y/n held their breath, teetering over the edge of the abyss. Just out of reach, a perfectly good slice of pepperoni clung to side of the garbage bag. Carefully they reached behind them, unsheathing their sewing needle sword. In one swift movement, they plunged it into the pepperoni, flicking it high into the air.

They stretched, needle outstretched to catch it mid-air, when their foot slipped. They felt almost weightless for a moment, weapon slipping from their hand as they reached for the rim of the bin. The bag rustled against their light touch, but slipped away, as all sound returned to them.

The air at the bottom of the bin was thick, their eyes water against the stench. Their backpack wasn't lost in the fall, at least, so they had a cloth to tie around their mouth and nose. They made a semi-serious note to themselves to find a pair of tiny goggles next time.

Curses spilled from their covered mouth, hand reaching for the empty sheath where their sword should be. They searched under rotting banana peels, and through leftover meatloaf, looking for any sign of their missing weapon. The the squelching under their boots making them gag, even more than the smell.

Finally, they caught a glimpse of silver. They scrambled over, snatching up the dirtied needle. Their breathing slowed, heart calming with it back in their grasp, and they took a minute to look around.

Now... what the hell to do?

Y/n sighed, staring up at the light that seemed so far away. It was almost poetic, lovely in its imagery. Of course, the smell kind of throws all that out the window, but, y'know. It's not like this was the first time Y/n had been trapped in a bin, of course, but it was such an inconvenience. It was not made better by the fact that they could definitely hear Richard eating their pepperoni right now.

So, they sheathed their sword once more, and began the long climb out.

"And then, outta nowhere, someone ties up the bag on me! Next thing I know, I'm stabbing my way out onto the street. This needle is great for stabbing, don't get me wrong, but it isn't so useful when trying to cut your way out of a plastic bag. So, I fell out, scraped my knee on the way down and then I saw that delicious morsel just sitting there!"

"And you tripped the trap." The man looked almost dumbfounded, examining the tiny person. Y/n resisted the urge to roll their eyes.

"Glad you're caught up. Now, can you get me down? My blade's starting to dig into my back."

Doing their best not to wriggle, they waited patiently for the man-glitch-rock-thing to untie them. "Oof!" His palm was warm, despite its stony appearance, bringing them an odd sense of comfort. "Hey, you caught me!" They tried not to sound as surprised as they felt, lying flat on his palm, with a dorky grin on their face. The man's brain ticked over, still staring at the borrower in his palm, when he spoke.

"You're homeless, right?"

"Whiplash from that subject change, but yeah. Why, what's it to ya?"

"Come work for me. I'll keep you fed, you won't have to hide anymore! We can take over the world!" Y/n thought about it for a moment, standing to pace back and forth on his palm. Shrugging, they jumped off. A panicked shout came from their companion, who caught them safely in his other hand. "What the heck?!" Y/n relaxed on his palm, hands resting behind their head, tapping their foot.

"So, all I gotta do is help you torment a kid? Sure, I'm in!"

"Wow, you agreed to that fast, huh?"

"Yep!" Y/n smiled widely at him, sticking out a tiny hand for him to shake. "I'm Y/n, Y/n L/n."

"Rob." The man replied, using a finger to gently shake their hand.

"Rob, huh? You got a nickname or something?" They giggled lightly, hand falling to their side. "I'm kidding."

"Actually, some people do call me Doctor Wrecker." Their laughter slowed, searching his face for any signs of dishonesty. When they found none, their giggling broke into a full on cackle, clutching at their aching ribs.

"Doctor Wrecker! Priceless!" A deep, long suffering sigh came from Rob, only making them laugh harder. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Ah..." They wiped a tear from their eye. "I like it, but I think I'll just stick to Rob."

"Yeah, I think that's for the best. Here." Y/n's heart dropped as his hand began to move, stopping at his shoulder. Using his outstretched finger for support, they sat on their new perch, making themself comfortable. "Are you prepared to cause some havoc?" A sinister grin spread across Y/n's face.

"Yes, yes I am."