Chapter 1: Morals

I sit on the edge of my bed.

The corporation had once again scolded me today. Blast that project.

I looked at the clock. It was 10pm.

The project was headed by one of the corporations board members. This man had absolutely no idea about the destruction this could cause.

The device we are creating is top secret. If the schematics are correct, then this...this blasted thing will only rain death on any country it touches.

"Collateral damage.", he said. "Sometimes it is required for the country."

I look at myself in the mirror. My thin build, crazy hair and a face that started to look devoid of any happiness looked back at me, glasses slid down the nose somewhat. I sighed and went to the bathroom to wash up.

At the age of 26, I was still young. But I always took great interest in the different sciences. I got my degree at the university here in London a few years ago. But little did I know that the world of science would only be filled by heartless shareholders. I wanted to make the world better with inventions, but that wasn't on the agenda apparently.

I walk out of the shower and look at the window. Did I just see a shadow pass by? Has to be my imagination. Ugh. What a day. I'm starting hallucinate now.

I walk over to the bed again and lie down. My appartpent may not be much but... it's where I live I guess. The wooden floorboards ain't the newest and the walls could use some new paint.

At least I have my tv and bed. And a fridge I can fill with food from time to time. I look over to the empty side of the bed next to me. Sighing loudly, I turn over. "You're just not good enough". She had said so when breaking up with me. It's been a while now and I just threw myself into my work as a way to cope. Maybe the world really is just heartless.

I turn to look up. I sleep under a window, because I enjoy watching the constellations as I fall asleep. I keep looking up, finding myself silently wishing for... I don't know. Something. A miracle. A life that isn't this mess.

Then I see it. The shadow lands on my window and looks down at me with red lights on their head. They break the window and knock me out cold before I could even move a muscle.

Talon headquarters: one hour later

I wake up with the most horrible headache I've experienced. The lights aimed at my face don't make it any easier.

"H-Hello? W-Where am I? What happened?"

A man walks up to me in a cloak and a white skull-like mask. His raspy voice reaches my ears like a violin, that has been tuned wrong over and over again.

"The Temaris project. Speak!"

"S-sorry, that information is c-classified. You s-should take it up with Mr Maltez himself, he's the only one allowed to-"

He slams a shotgun onto the table.

"Now!"

You were pondering in your mind whether it was truly worth dying for. You didn't know who this man was, nor if they could be trusted. Then again, Maltez was already a bad guy as it is for this project.

"The project is gonna be a failure anyway! It's gonna kill millions if it's ever set off. It's better you let it rest."

He picked up the shotgun and aimed it at me.

"The location."

You sighed loudly. "I can't tell you."

The hit that followed on my jaw was harder than I could have imagined. It sent me flying to the wall behind me.

I attempted to get up but was immediately grabbed by the throat.

"If you don't tell us the location, we might as well just off you right here!"

"I'll die...once I speak...anyway. This...just...speeds up the process."

"And what if we protect you?"

A feminine voice rung out from behind him. A purple skinned woman, slender and wearing a skintight bodysuit looked straight at you. She moved rather graciously as she made her way closer.

"We can offer protection."

"I...noticed." I say as I point to the hand on my neck.

She nods to the cloaked man as he drops me to the ground.

"You worked on the project. You could help us. That way, you can make the project your own."

My own? Yes. If I reverse engineer a few things, I could change this whole thing around!

Was it worth it though? Would these people not use it fo bad themselves?

"All we want.", she spoke walking into the light. "Is to make this world a better place. Isn't that what you want Y/N?"

She knows my name. She knows what I wanted to do in life.

"And what do I have as evidence to trust you? Other than the bruised jaw and not being dead yet."

The cloaked figure had now moved back as she walked up.

"Friends.", she said. A smile persed on her lips. I don't know what it is about this woman but the way she said that word...

"We merely wish to help you. Believe me. We do." That accent. Was that...french?

"Please tell us the location?"

After she asked that I felt...strangely at ease. Maybe...just maybe...this world wasn't so heartless after all.

"London. Right underneath King's row's tower there is a secret laboratory. That's where it is hidden. Security is rather tight. So I'm not sure if you can even get in."

Silence filled the room for a few seconds. Glances were shared between the silhouettes in front of you.

Finally, the skull mask looked back at me.

"Good. You get to live. In fact, we'll keep you around. To...aid you in your endeavor. Welcome aboard."

The menacing tone of this grovely voice didn't really help. But hey. I get to live and better that experiment? Sure.

"Widowmaker. Show him to his bunk."

The dark figure left the room, leaving the door open. With a few graceful steps, she walked over and undid the ties around your hands.

"Thanks. They were starting to get itchy.", I said. I wanted to start a conversation but she didn't seem to have the same idea.

"Follow. I will show you to your room.

You could sense the accent from a mile away.

"Français? Je n'ai pas entendu ce langue depuis d'annèes!"

"French? I haven't heard that language in years!"

She froze and looked back at me. I started to grow unsure whether that was a good move.

"You speak french? But you are from London, no?"

The wonder in her voice grew. I gotta be honest, it sounded pretty cute.

I push my glasses up my nose. "Studied abroad for a few years. It's not England, but France is a close second for being my favourite country."

Did I just see a smirk creep up her face?

She turns and walks away as I follow her to my 'bunk.'

I might actually have a shot at bettering this world.