Chapter Eight: Better Than Love.

Chapter 8: Better Than Love.

Lucas sat in the Grid. He was tired. His muscles ached. He would often feel like this after he had a flashback. Sometimes it took him a few days to fully shake the affects of them. He knew that he would have to speak to someone about these flashbacks. If not just for him now, he had Hayley to think of too. He wanted to show her that he was getting a handle on what had happened in his past because he did not want it affecting his future.

Lucas was never one to be embarrassed about things. However, he was embarrassed that he had awoken Hayley last night. She had a long day in front of her today. She had to contend not only with some of the little buggers at her school. She also had to deal with Dimitri coming into her classroom. Her domain as she called it. Lucas was sorry that he had been the cause for her lack of sleep. She seemed understanding, but it did not make Lucas feel any better he must be truthful with himself.

'Lucas' Ruth looked to her senior officer. 'Harry told me about what happened yesterday at your house'

'I am surprised he did. What did he tell you? The time when he told Hayley that she would sell me to the Russians if she was given the right price? Or that he did not trust me to be able to do my job because I am with a woman?'

'Lucas, Harry has your best interests at heart. But he has a sucky way of trying to show you he cares. I know he trusts you Lucas. And when he asked me for my opinion about Hayley I told him. I thought she was a good fit for you. I haven't of course met her. Except for the hour she was on the Grid that night.  But you are much more focused on the job then you were before. And you are happy. You are happy aren't you Lucas?'

'I am Ruth' Lucas nodded, 'I am much happier than I have been in a long time'

'Then prove that to Harry, don't let something that keeps you sane in this line of work get away'

'I am not planning on it Ruth, let's hope I don't F this relationship up then. Like my others'

'Just be yourself and I am sure she won't be able to resist you' she smiled.

Ruth smiled to Lucas, she felt for him. In this line of work we all needed somewhere to escape although Ruth's was home with her cat. She would love nothing more than to meet the man of her dreams and fall in love with him and her to love her back. She thought she had found that in Harry. But after so many years of them avoiding the feelings that they have for each other and all they have done together. In their eyes to protect the country she was unsure she could ever be with a man she loved. However, she was not bitter about that any more not like she was. God she had turned down his proposal. But Harry being Harry he could not have done it romantically how a woman dreams it to be. He did it at Ros' funeral. No she was not bitter at all. This was her lot in life and she would have to accept that. But by the sounds of it Lucas had found what he had been looking for maybe there was hope for her too.

LNLNLN

Hayley had to admit, Mr Scott had made quite an impression on her Year 9 who came bustling in after break. The girls all got their copies of Pride and Prejudice out. Although the boys versions of the book seemed to be pretty much untouched. Hayley suspected the only time the boys opened their copies was for when they had homework or had to read in class. However, it made Hayley smile when she spotted the Girls copies seemed to be a little worn. It meant that they were reading it. Maybe some had gone ahead in the story.

'Miss Tanner, who is the man sitting in the back?' one of the girls asked.

'I quite forgot he was there, my apologies class, this is Mr Scott. He is here to help me with the teaching of Pride and Prejudice. Now a few ground rules. I expect you to show him the same respect that you would if it was me. He is a member of staff and will have the same respect as anyone in this classroom. If you do not then you will be spending time with me in Detention, understood'