Chapter Three : Science and Faith

Chapter Three: Science And Faith

Hayley banged her head against the desk, today was a day when she honestly was thinking what is the point of being a teacher because no matter what you said or did the kids were throwing it back in your face, and it was only Tuesday. She sighed as she sat at her desk during her free. She got her phone out and dialled the only person she wanted to speak to, Lucas. The phone rang for a good few minutes, Hayley was about to hang up when she heard Lucas answer, he sounded like he had just woken up she looked at the clock it was one o'clock.

'Hayley'

'I am sorry I didn't mean to wake you' Hayley said.

'I left work late last night I was catching up on sleep, but not to worry' Lucas said, 'what's the matter?'

'I just wanted to talk but you should get back to sleep, I will phone you later' Hayley hung up before he could reply.

LNLNLN

Lucas was sleeping he had been working late at the Grid, another disaster another day, when he got home last night he was at the point of exhaustion. He was not aware of the time until he heard his phone buzzing on his bedside table. He squinted allowing his eyes to focus; he saw it was Hayley what time was it? He looked at the clock one o'clock in the afternoon, Shit this was very unlike him.

'Hayley'

'I am sorry I didn't mean to wake you' Hayley replied down the phone.

'I left work late last night I was catching up on sleep, but not to worry' Lucas was happy to hear her voice, it seemed to calm him. 'What's the matter?' Lucas found himself imagining all of the things that could have happened.

'I just wanted to talk but you should go back to sleep, I will phone you later'

'Hay...' But she had already hung up on him. Like he was going to be able to go back to sleep now, she would not ring him during her school day unless something had happened she was a stickler for not texting and ringing during her work hours she had a go at Lucas only last week when he had rung her completely forgetting that she would have been teaching.

He now knew she had a temper on her when she was angry, he could still hear the words ringing in his head.

Last week

Lucas sat at his desk, it had been three days since he last saw Hayley and he hadn't text her since Sunday it was now Monday afternoon. He decided he needed to hear her voice. He dialled her number. She didn't reply, oh bollocks she would have a class now.

At three thirty on the dot she phoned him back.

'Lucas I was teaching, you shouldn't ring me when I am at school'

'I am sorry I honestly forgot'

'Well don't forget, I forgot to put my phone on silence and had to explain to a bunch of year tens why Miss' phone was going off in the middle of us reading world war fucking two poetry, I have never been so embarrassed in my life'

Lucas would have the phone so it was not really his fault it was because she had not put her phone on silence but Lucas could tell by her tone, she was not in the mood for him to take the piss.

'Look Hayley, I am sorry. I truly forgot, I am not used to working to a schedule of a school teacher'

'Just try and get used to it' she snapped and hung up.

Okay Lucas knew he was in the bad books now. He thought about what he could do to make it up to her; he decided he would visit the local florists and get them to deliver a big bunch of flowers to her flat.