Chapter Twelve: Unspoken

Hayley sat at her kitchen table, she had not slept. Every time she closed her eyes she saw Lucas. She saw his cold blue eyes which had no warmth in them for the first time she had known him. She nursed a cup of coffee in her hand, closing her eyes. She knew tears were threatening to fall. But she could not cry. One because she had cried too bloody much and secondly she needed to sort herself out she had to be ready for school. Throwing herself in to work was what she needed. Her pupils needed her.

Hayley got to school just after six forty five. She had never been to school this early. But she did not feel like staying in her flat any longer. Dimitri walked in half an hour later. He looked at his watch when he saw Hayley sitting at her desk.

'Morning Dimitri' she looked up from her coffee.

'Morning Hayley you are early this morning'

'Came to get some work and photocopying done'

Dimitri did not believe that this was the reason to why she was in. He had heard what had happened between her and Lucas. Lucas had rung him to tell him what was going on. 'Well I will make you a coffee you and me could do with one'

'Thanks Dimitri that's really sweet of you'

LNLNLN

Lucas woke with a pounding head, he regretted the vodka. He looked around his kitchen it looked like a bomb had gone off. He must have got incredibly angry last night. Remembering why he was so angry, he sighed and felt his heart clench. Rubbing his face. He felt like an idiot he had lost the one thing that he loved in his life. Something that made his life worth living. He had allowed again his job to dictate the terms of his personal life.

He however needed to do this for Hayley. She needed to be safe. He loved her that much and he would rather feel this hurt that his heart is feeling now if he knew she was safe, alive and well.  

His phone was buzzing but he needed to clear his head. He put his phone on the kitchen side and went to his shower.

He turned on the shower turning up to hot. He liked to have his showers hot for the simple reason that when he was in prison he would go through the showers, but instead of gaining hot showers they would give them freezing cold showers. To teach them their place. Ever since he came back therefore he would always have a hot shower.

LNLNLN

Two weeks later:

'Miss, You coming to the fair tonight?' John asked her with a lopsided smile.

Hayley looked up at him. She fixed on a smile. She was getting used to this smile. A smile that never met her eyes, 'I might' Hayley nodded.

Dimitri's ears picked up. He would have to text Lucas to let him know that she would be there tonight.

'Mr Scott' Hayley said, 'Will you be going to the fair tonight?'

'I have other arrangements'

'I see, shame' Hayley shrugged.

LNLNLN

Lucas' head rested on his desk. He had not been sleeping that was no secret to anyone on the Grid. He was feeling empty again it was then he began to dream of her.

Dream:

'Lucas' it had frightened him how vivid he was able to recall her voice. Her smell. Every part of her body. She fluttered her eyelashes at him.

'Hayley what are you doing here?'

'I've come to you because...' she turned from him.

'Hayley' he pleaded grabbing her wrist, 'Please stay'