Chapter Eighteen: I May Not Have The Softest Touch...

Hayley looked at the figures standing on her doorstep. When she told them she had moved from her flat and had given them the new address she had not expected them to turn up. Her mother looked at her; she had a horrified expression on her face. She couldn’t speak. Hayley realised she had seen her bruising as her brother had done so. Her Brother, Unhealthily tall for his sixteen year long emo type brown hair with visions that he was going to be a rock star stared at her, ‘Shit Hayley who knocked you about?’

 Lucas stirred, he looked around. Where had she disappeared to now? He heard her talking but to more than one person. He went to the door. ‘Everything okay Hayley?’ he asked.

‘Lucas, I would like to introduce you to my parents and my brother Andrew commonly known as Drew’

‘It’s nice to meet you’ Lucas extended his hand, whispering in Hayley’s ear ‘I didn’t know they were coming’

‘Neither did I’ she muttered.

As he extended his hand to Hayley’s father he grabbed him and pulled him out of the house.

Hayley screamed, ‘Dad what are you doing?’

‘Was it him who laid a hand on you?’

‘Dad no stop this is Lucas my boyfriend’ She got her mother and brother to go into the house. She then put herself in front of her father and Lucas. She had her back to Lucas. She looked straight into her father’s eyes. She steeled herself. When she was a little girl her dad would often terrify her with his sternness but not anymore. She was a teacher and a grown woman.  ‘Dad you won’t hurt him, you do you will not set foot in this house ever’

‘You expect me to believe that he has nothing to do with the state you are in’

Lucas flinched. Of course he was to do with the state she was in but he couldn’t explain that to her father. Did he really think that he did not feel guilty enough every day? She however did not move from the spot. She looked at her father once more.

‘Trust your daughter here, when I tell you Lucas had nothing to do with this’

She watched her father soften but he did not acknowledge Lucas as he walked past and entered the house. Lucas looked to Hayley she met his eyes. ‘I’m sorry I didn’t know they were coming’

Lucas took her hand. ‘I know you didn’t although it was not really the hello meet the parents that I was expecting’

‘I am sorry about my father’ she kissed his lips, ‘He may be a little overprotective’

‘I gathered that. I am just going to have to show him that I am very much in love with his daughter’ he cupped her cheek, ‘Come on we’d better get back in before he thinks that I am battering his daughter’

‘Lucas, Remember whatever they say, I love you’

‘And I love you’ Lucas stepped in front of her and walked into the kitchen where Hayley’s family were sitting around the kitchen table. He tried to remove his hand from Hayley but she wouldn’t let him. She held him with her grip firm.

She sat in the seat next to Lucas not letting go of him. She looked at her father who was making it perfectly clear that he was not pleased with her choice of man. If he stopped being so bloody stubborn he would see that this man was exactly what his daughter wanted and needed. He should be happy that his daughter had found her soul mate many people go through life without ever finding that.

Drew was the one who broke the silence. ‘So Hayley pretty nice gaff you have here’

‘It’s not just mine’ she replied. Smiling to Lucas.